Skip to content
how to get a distor...

Notifications
Clear all

how to get a distorted guitar to cut through the mix??

24 Posts
14 Users
0 Likes
19.3 K Views
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

True ...... I suppose the way to cut through the mix is a monitor speaker. It cuts through where you are standing, just not necessarily everywhere else. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

It's funny, I'm following a thread on talkbass.com about how to get bass guitars to cut through all the distorted guitars in the mix. :D I'm sure on a drumming site, someone is asking how to get the drums to cut through the mix.
Isn't it sad in a way that various players want to "cut through the mix?" Isn't the "mix" what the music is?

Yep, some want it because they want more of themselves in the mix and some want it because one of their bandmates want more of themselves in it :D

Dimefan, at first glance, I'd say you have too much bass dialed in. You have a bass player in your band, right? Let him handle that end. What sounds good to you while playing alone won't sound good when you have other instruments playing with you. You need to have a "practicing by yourself" sound and a "playing with the band" sound.

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Brought to you by the Department of Redundancy Department!

More mids, less treble, less distortion. Let the bass carry the low end, that's what it does. Too much distortion blurs the attack on the chugs and makes 'em sound mushy. Too much treble lets pick scrapes and finger squeaks gain the upper hand, and gives you a fizzy bumblebee sound.

Keep in mind that the metal rhythm guitar you hear on album is tracked two or three times and mixed together for one guitar part.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Yes, I have found a good way to add more bass to your sound without turning the bass up is to turn the treble down.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Yes what jw and moon said let the bass player carry the low end or else everything will sound like mud. Plus you really have to take some time to work on the sound as a whole, remember it's not just you playing it's the "band" that the listeners hear so it's important that you all work well together.

Wow the sweet spot I'm still looking for it myself. When you find it let me know.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

It's funny, I'm following a thread on talkbass.com about how to get bass guitars to cut through all the distorted guitars in the mix. :D I'm sure on a drumming site, someone is asking how to get the drums to cut through the mix.
Isn't it sad in a way that various players want to "cut through the mix?" Isn't the "mix" what the music is?

Yep, some want it because they want more of themselves in the mix and some want it because one of their bandmates want more of themselves in it :D

Dimefan, at first glance, I'd say you have too much bass dialed in. You have a bass player in your band, right? Let him handle that end. What sounds good to you while playing alone won't sound good when you have other instruments playing with you. You need to have a "practicing by yourself" sound and a "playing with the band" sound.

When a band is doing the mix from on stage, I can always tell which band member is in charge of the mix with my eyes closed. :roll:

Of course, Motorhead never had this problem:

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Hi Alman,

Not sure if you have had any success yet but I have a very similar set up to you.
I have a Laney VC30 and ME-50.I stopped using the Tubescreamer setting a few weeks ago because of the same problem you are having.Its great for a solo boost or at high volumes but sounds a bit lifeless at lower volumes/levels.I have now started using the Guvnor pedal setting and its sounds excellent and its very flexible.I set the ME-50 gain to about 10 ' o'clock and the tone and level controls to around 12 o'clock.Try adding a little compression I usually have the sustain and level set to about 9 o'clock.

Theres some great tones in the ME-50 just needs a bit of experimenting with.The amp also has a huge effect on the tones you get out of the ME-50.Sounds especially good with valve/tube amps.

P.s if you are looking for a hi-gain setting try the the Modern Distortion (variation setting) its sounds huge but has still got some definition ie not mushy like most hi-gain metal sounds.

Hope this helps

Bob

My Band: http://www.myspace.com/thelanterns2010
playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

oops replied to the wrong post!

playing whilst drunk is only permitted if all band members are in a similar state!

ReplyQuote
(@bobblehat)
Reputable Member

Just to second what Ricochet said "the mix" is what its all about.Its the overall sound that matters not the individual components.My amp settings are bass 4, mids 5/6, treble 5/6.(LANEY vc30) Doesn't sound good at low volumes but sounds sweet when cranked to band levels and no problem cutting through.Now only set my gain to around 3 or 4 and use my guitar volume and master volume to drive the amp.

Just my thoughts

Bob.

ReplyQuote
Page 2 / 2