Clear all

How to make blues sounds on a digitech guitar processor

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey I have the RP80,their are so many effects I don't know what to mess with, chorus, flange, phaser, termolo, panner,vibrato, yaya their even more. :twisted:
The sounds I get are Black Sabbath when I want B.B. King. :(

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Well, BB King doesn't use distortion. Although I'm sure he cranks his amp up at times to get a singing, natural overdrive.

That RP80 should have many clean presets in addition to the distortions.
So first find a nice clean channel. BB King uses a semi-hollow guitar so even an acoustic guitar preset might work. Maybe the only effect you would want on it is some reverb. Then just dial in a nice warm tone with your guitar's tone adjustment. Try a little delay and chorus as well, but only a touch.

Some of your presets may be Blues sounds already only with overdrive added. Just turn off the overdrive and see what you get. Or turn the gain way down on the overdrive to where you have to crank your amp a little to get it to sing.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks wes, I have a sem-hollow. When I get home from work I'm going to do what you said. I usually play alot of blues scale near the 5 fret and lower, I played a few riffs up in the 12- 14 frets and got better blues sounds and played with the reverb.

Being a guitar beginner is rough 8)

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

As Wes said, the basic of a BB King sound is a relatively clean sound. The slight tube overdrive he has can be somewhat gotten by using low gain settings on the RP. Make sure you use the neck pickup, and roll down on the tone pot if needed. Slect either the Blackface, Clean Tweed or Clean Tube Amp model, and use either the 1st, 2nd of third gain level. Modify the EQ to get a proper basic sound. Now add a tiny bit of compression to compensate the lack of tube compression, and add a moderate ammount of reverb.

Phaser, Delay and Chorus, while never used by BB King as far as I know, can give it, when used with cuation, a fresh sound, although the somewhat limited ammount of paramaters on the RP80 might make it hard to get it how you want it.

ReplyQuote