Clear all

I need help with amp question PLEASE.

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@cureish)
Topic starter  

I need to understand how and what I need to do to run a second cabinet from my
fender super reverb. If I do this will both internal speakers and added cab play sound at the same time?
Would running a 2x12 cabinet with the 4x10's sound bad?
Could I use another 4x10 cab, so I could have 8 10's at one time?

my amp is a 65 reissue
2 ohm speaker load
it says in the manuel: two external 4 ohm speaker cabinets
would provide the recommended 2 ohm load.

what does this mean?

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

2 4 ohm cabs in parallel will give a 2 ohm load. So will 4 8 ohm cabs in parallel.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

cureish

Your Fender will run at 2 ohms minimum. So you cannot use the 4 internal speakers AND additional speakers at the same time. That would be less than 2 ohms and cause the amp to overheat.

What that is saying is that you can disconnect the internal speakers and then attach external speakers or cabs down to a 2 ohms load.

Ohms is a measurement of resistance. The lower the ohms, the lower the resistance and more current flows through the amp. If you attach additional speakers while using the 4 internal speakers too much current will flow through the amp. You will in effect turn your amp into an electric toaster. You don't want to do that do you? :D

You may be able to run your amp at 4 ohms or even 8 ohms without harm, but the amp will not produce as much power. This is more resistance, it is kind of like driving with your foot on the brake pedal.

So, I would use either the 4 internal speakers alone, or a speaker cab(s) rated a total 2 ohms resistance. You could daisy chain two 4 X 12 cabs each rated at 4 ohms for instance for a 2 ohms load.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

What does that term "daisy chain" mean, I'ver read it before regarding different people's setups??

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

What does that term "daisy chain" mean, I'ver read it before regarding different people's setups??

The term simply means to connect two speakers or speaker cabs together. You will see two jacks on almost all speaker cabs and they are almost always wired in parallel. So you can go out of the Speaker Out on your amp head into 1st jack on a 4 X 12 cab for example. Then you can take another speaker cable (not instument cable) and go out of the 2nd jack on the 4 X 12 into the jack on cab #2.

That is all it means. Soundpeople especially dislike this term. They prefer to say connect the cabs in "parallel" or "series". But the term has stuck. Most speaker cabs are wired parallel, but occasionally you will find one wired series.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

wes, if your amp has more than one speaker output on the back and you run into a cab with each output, how would you figure out the ohms? for instance, my dual rec has a 16 ohm out, 2x 8 ohm outs, and 2x 4 ohm outs. i run either one or two mesa recto standard cabs (8 ohm mono). i'm assuming if i just one run, i'd plug into an 8 ohm output. however, when i run two is where i run into my question. would i run them each from a 4 ohm jack or from an 8 ohm jack? the manual says from the 4 ohm jacks, but i thought that was strange. anyway, sorry for hijacking the thread, but i think it goes along with your questions cureish

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Normally it's not intended for you to use more than one of those speaker outlets at the same time. Each jack is coming off of part of the secondary winding of the output transformer, designed to fully load the amp all by itself.

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

so, what is the point of having 2x 4 ohm jacks? should i just run out of one 4 ohm jack, into the back of the 8 ohm cab, out of that cab and into another 8 ohm?

~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like that amp's made to use two 4 ohm speakers. Most amps have one of each impedance, not intended to be used together.

Read the manual. If you don't have one, it'll be on the maker's website for download.

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

yeah i did. the manual for it showed running a cable from each 4 ohm jack into each 8 ohm speaker. so the jacks must be wired parallel? i guess i'll just go with that. more reistance is fine right?

PS - sorry for hijacking the thread.

~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sounds like that will work fine.