Clear all

Ibanez Tube amp

10 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

I've just stumbled across a new tube amp fom Ibanez, which sounds (from the spec) as if it may make a great home amp. It's 5W (6L6 & 12AX7) and only around $200, online price. It even offers an FX loop and headphone output!

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

This one? http://www.guitar-village.co.uk/product-detail.asp?id=1721&catid=30&manid=48&quantity=1&product=Ibanez+Valbee+%2D+Valve+power+for+only+%A3139%2C+Blue%2C+New

Looks like fun!

Also Johnson now has a low-priced 25-watt all-tube combo, with reverb, headphone jack and XLR direct out!
http://www.johnsongtr.com/Loredo_Tube.1014.0.html

It's GREAT to see tube amp prices coming down! Now if I could only find a little 1-watter for under $400 ... :D

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Yep, that's the one.
Now if I could only find a little 1-watter for under $400
Look out for a Hughes & Kettner Cream Machine, Crunch Master or Metal Master. They should go for around $70-80 on ebay. I can't see one on the US site but you can get an idea from this German auction
http://cgi.ebay.de/Hughes-Kettner-H-K-Metal-Master-80s-Vintage-Original_W0QQitemZ7376708143QQcategoryZ46655QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
It runs off 2 12Ax7 tubes - one for the preamp and the other as the power amp. Includes a not-earth-shattering 4x12 Celestion emulator, Line-Out, Instrument out, Speaker-out, By-Pass and balance (regulates the balance between the gain and clean channels). Oh, and a foot pedal jack, to switch between clean/gain channels.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Thanks GB. I've heard about the Crunch Master (aka "Blues Master") - they are really hard to find but I'll be on the lookout. Cream Machine and Metal Master might be a bit too high-gain for my tastes, but the Crunch Master would be great. Amptone posted a copy of a letter on their site, in which they ask H&K to reissue them. H&K's response: not enough demand! They need to rethink that, IMHO.

H&K did come out with the TubeMan "pedal" which is really a three-channel preamp with a single 12AX7 ( http://www.amptone.com/hktubeman.htm ), but they are also difficult to find used at a good price. It's possible that the three channels are versions of the crunch master, cream machine and metal master; that's certainly what the soundclips lead me to believe.

I'm really hoping for a complete 1-watt combo though. For closer to $200. Why are those kits so darned pricey?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Why are those kits so darned pricey?
A tube amp needs a metal chassis, which will cost around $30-40 - unless you are buying a kit, the (pre-drilled) chassis is a one-off. Some people find an old valve radio or whatever and cannibalise that.
You need an input and an output transformer, which run $30-40 and upwards each for good quality ones. You need one holder for each valve - these start at about $3-4 and run to $20-30 each, depending on quality and material. Then, you'll need the valves to put in them - reckon $10-20 a piece, going upwards for matched sets.
The amp also has resistors and capacitors (which can run to $2-3 a piece), wire and other components.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The real cost is the labor in handling, packaging and assembling each of those parts as an individual item. A builder who's cranking out thousands of identical amps can do it a lot cheaper.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, makes sense. So, in a nutshell, I'd probably be better off getting a 5-watter and an inexpensive attenuator if I want overdriven tube tone at "the baby's sleeping, turn that thing down!" volume. Or I could just be happy with my Tech21 solid state amp and my headphones... :sigh:

The little Ibanez does not yet seem to be available in the US, by the way.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ah, makes sense. So, in a nutshell, I'd probably be better off getting a 5-watter and an inexpensive attenuator if I want overdriven tube tone at "the baby's sleeping, turn that thing down!" volume. Or I could just be happy with my Tech21 solid state amp and my headphones... :sigh:Yeah, that or cough up the bucks and build a little bitty one. It's good experience.

Check out the "Moonlight" over at: http://AX84.com/

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, makes sense. So, in a nutshell, I'd probably be better off getting a 5-watter and an inexpensive attenuator if I want overdriven tube tone at "the baby's sleeping, turn that thing down!" volume. Or I could just be happy with my Tech21 solid state amp and my headphones... :sigh:Yeah, that or cough up the bucks and build a little bitty one. It's good experience.

Check out the "Moonlight" over at: http://AX84.com/
Yes, those are pretty cool. I had looked at their P1 and Firefly projects before. I'd love to build one (despite a lack of electronics skills), but it's the "coughing up the bucks" part that is the real problem.

ReplyQuote
(@josephlefty)
Reputable Member

Anyone see the Ibanez for sale in the US? I did a search looking for one and only found them in the UK.

If it was easy it wouldn't be worth doing.

ReplyQuote