Clear all

Ibenez practice amp...taking back off

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@crate1)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a 15 watt Ibenez practice amp and have taken the back off of it. The sound is much better. Anyone see any negatives to doing this..ps new to guitarnoise.com..

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Shouldn't be any problem doing that. Some amp cabinets are closed-back, some are open-back, some are partially open; just depends on what the manufacturer intended and on the speaker being used. But if it sounds better, go for it.

And welcome to GN! :)

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@diceman)
Reputable Member

Changing a speaker cabinet from closed back to open back has its risks . A closed speaker enclosure (is that redundant?) limits speaker cone travel somewhat because the trapped air in the back of the speaker gives resistance to rapid change because it has to come from the port in front . An open back cabinet provides no such resistance so there is a danger that the speaker cone could damage itself by moving too far . Amp designers take these things into account when choosing the speaker(s) that they will use . So , it's possible that you could damage your speaker especially if you like to play it very loudly .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote