Intermediate amp choices

14 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello.

I normally try not to do this kind of post, but I'm throwing myself at the mercy of the forum.

I have had a little cheap, cheap, cheap amp that I've been using with a Strat. It has been fine, but I've been thinking I'd like something a little... better. (Not that I deserve it, playing-wise, but that's another matter.)

I know less than next-to-nothing about amps, really, so I've done a search at a local shop of amps they have in a price range that I can afford at the moment, and wondered if you (the general forum) could recommend or remove any from the list?

http://www.allansbillyhyde.com.au/prodcat/Guitar_Amps_and_Effects/Electric_Guitar_Amps/prices/250-1000.aspx

:mrgreen:

[edit] Sorry, music preferences: something of an all-rounder because I like everything from Country to Grunge and lotsa stuff besides. It would be good if it was good enough for band rehearsals and small gigs as well.

Yeah... I want the perfect amp at an unrealistic price :lol:

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

(@alangreen)

I use a 50-watt Marshall with a 1x12 at Big Band rehearsals/ gigs and there's plenty of headroom to turn up the volume for my solos.

This is probably one of those occasions to go down your local guitar shop and try out every amp they have. Take a packed lunch and a thermos full of coffee, and don't leave until they throw you out. Take a notebook and pencil and write down what you think about every single one.

Then go off to the next shop and do the same.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I agree with Alan, so shop around and hear them for yourself.

I looked at the first page of the list. There's enough there to blow your mind. :shock:

Any of the Marshalls or VOX combos would be great. Hiwatt is coming in as lower end, and the Rolands aren't suitable there.

Ummm... if you're planning on playing a Strat with a Marshall, it is kind of unusual, except Jimi Hendrix or Stevie Ray Vaughan certainly showed how it is done and what it sounds like. 8) Beatles, Eric Clapton, Pete Townshend I think, and many others used VOX, with less edge and more into pop sounds. http://www.voxamps.com/toneroom/browse/artist/Eric%20clapton/

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

hehehe I KNEW you'd all say this.

I tried to explain it to my boyfriend in terms he'd understand... how do you test-ride a motorbike if you haven't learnt to ride yet? I feel a bit the same way with an amp. I have such little experience that I'm not sure what I'm looking for. :lol:

I have had a good think about it though... do I want an amp that has all the presets in it (like a Vox VT) or something straight that I run pedals through (lke a Blues Jnr)? Do I want something more on the trebly end or warmer end, something that I can thrash out metal... ? The answers to these have me leaning towards the Fender, but you're right. I have to listen to it first hand.

I'll bite the bullet and make a trip out to the music shop today.

Thank you for the advice *thumbs up*

What I lack in talent and natural ability, I will have to make up with stubborness.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

Try the Fender Mustang amp. I use the Mustang II and I have to tell you it is superb. There is so much versatility in that thing. I checked out loads of different amps before purchasing this and I personally couldn't find anything to beat it's price, sound and ease of use. I use a Strat as well and they compliment each other perfectly.

Let us know what you finally buy.

ReplyQuote
(@bkangel)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I ended up with the Blues Jnr... I just really liked the "quiet" tones of this amp, and even plucking around this afternoon briefly, I cannot believe how good my guitar sounds through it!

Do I look happy?

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thats awesome, enjoy!!!!!!!!!!

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

It is really awesome, for sure! Congrats! I have one and a "matching Strat" and know first hand how good it is, forever. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@rocket-dog)
Reputable Member

I ended up with the Blues Jnr... I just really liked the "quiet" tones of this amp, and even plucking around this afternoon briefly, I cannot believe how good my guitar sounds through it!

Do I look happy?
BRILLIANT!!! :note2:

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Many congrats and enjoy! :D

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

You made a great choice! I think you will be very happy.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Awesome.....happy crankin'

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Do I look happy?

Great choice! My Blues Jr. is my "workhorse" amp and does about 85% of my gigs. It's small, easy to carry and set up, has enough power to carry a small venue, and gives just the right amount of stage volume on the larger ones.

The other 15%? That's covered by the Vox Pathfinder ( for tiny stages ), and the '59 Bassman ( large outdoor stages that the Blues Jr. tens to get "lost" on ).

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

Awesome! Yes, you do look rather pleased. I've heard some of the things from the colaborations and the Hear Here sections of this forum that others have done on that amp and it all sounded impressive.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote