Notifications
Clear all

Is this even possible with a combo amp?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@tutorman101)
Topic starter  

I just bought my first all tube combo amp... a nice little 15 watt Ampeg. This amp, like many combos that I looked at, has multiple output jacks in the back so that I can use the combo much like a head and have it run through other cabinets.

However, I was wondering if the opposite is also possible. Since the internal speaker is connected by a simple cable, why couldn't I find a nice little 2-watt head and connect the internal speaker to it? I'd have to extend the little cable since it is short, but length issues notwithstanding, is this something that might damage the amp? Does anyone else out there do this?

Thank you for your time and help!

(@tutorman101)
Topic starter  

Is there anyone out there with an answer? Is my question unclear? Is there no one who can help me? Is there a better place to ask such questions? :|

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Well if its wired direct to the speaker, and unhooked the combo amp from it,
and the combos speaker is of the correct ohms for the head unit, sure why not. It would be just a speaker cab, with electronics hanging around in it...

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@ramltop)

Man whatever you do just check the ohms in speaker. I lost one of my 150w speakers just because of this misconfiguration. :(

ReplyQuote
(@tutorman101)
Topic starter  

Hey, I appreciate the help, thank you! I will give it a go when I find a nice 1 or 2-watt head. :mrgreen:

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Hey, I appreciate the help, thank you! I will give it a go when I find a nice 1 or 2-watt head. :mrgreen:

How about a .5 watt? http://www.zvexamps.com/amp_view.html

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote