JBL mods - good idea or bad?

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

G'Day,
Can I have your opinions on this? We have a pair of expensive JBL bins that have 2 x 15's and a horn each. Our PA dude has all his own gear that we use now we're playing with him. He's suggested:

"The Horn driver (on our bins) is not a constant Q Horn so as such My SP5 top boxes with titanium drivers offer superior Top end response.

However if I bypass the crossover in the JBLs and run only the to 15 inch drivers without the horns and lay boxes down at front of stage we would have superior bottom end. This is a easy and reversible mod to the bins (only requires removing and repatching inbuilt crossovers on the JBLs.)

Is a standard practise and does not hurt bins. We would merely be removing Horns from circuit and using bins as subs powered by (our 1000 watt) Yamaha amp."

I what do you think of the idea? We want to be able to use them as normal when we do smaller gigs as the 3-piece so would it be OK just to have a switch installed to cut out the horn as needed, or is it more complex than that?

Cheers 8)

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Sounds fine as long as you use an electronic crossover to feed only bass frequencies to the Yamaha PA/JBL bins with the internal crossover defeated.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

What if we just dissconect the horn (& put in a switch) wont the interal crossover still work?

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

What if we just dissconect the horn (& put in a switch) wont the interal crossover still work?

Passive crossovers (as inside cabinets) are sensitive to the load of both drivers, so you should replace the horn with a resistor of a similar rating (8 or 16 ohms). Replacing the horn with an open or short may produce strange effects in the 15s.

Also, if you are using these as subs only, you should use an active crossover to keep the mids out of these cabs - they can conflict with the other PA speakers, which can cause phase cancellation or other muddyness in the mid-vocal range.

As with anything, try it and see if it bothers you. If it sounds good, then it's good enough.

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

That's a good idea about the active crossover & keeping the speaker load constant! These are the kind of things I need to know before getting my expensive speakers tampered with!!!

Anything else guys? This is great!

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

If the PA dude is so sharp, where are his subs?
:!:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

He normally hires a sub, which works quite well. But we have these JBL bins that aren't being used, so why not hey? I've had a long chat & we've got a set-up that puts an additional jack into the bin, going straight to the 15"s - He's got the active x-overs etc in his desk & will only be sending bass to them. After all the discussions with him I'm confident in his ability to do the mod & that it wont harm the speakers. I guess time will tell! :)

ReplyQuote