just got the hot rod deville

23 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

man is this puppy loud, what a great amp,i've been playing with it for about
3 hrs. now, well worth the 700 bucks, i can't remember ever being happier lol.
this amp is awsome. wow. :twisted:

even god loves rock-n-roll

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Congrats my Man!!

May you have many many great hours with that thing.

They are loud huh? :twisted: :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@djdubb)
Reputable Member

Enjoy it because I love my Deville!!!

"Failure is the key to success" Lee Wen; Champ vs Champ

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

thanks guys, was up all last night fooling around with it, this amp is the best 8)

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Man, I hear nothing but good things about these amps, but have never played one. Might have to change that by making a trip to my local guitar store. :wink: Have fun with your new toy, glad you're having so much fun. :D

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

thanks guys, was up all last night fooling around with it, this amp is the best 8)

Hehehehe.. a Lil Hooked are ya? :)

Hey there's this kid Justin Holton who's got a great website and resource for the Deluxe/DeVille Flavor of Amps

His Page is here.
http://studentweb.eku.edu/justin_holton/

Also on his web site are some basic settings of the Tone and Gain settings. If its anything like my Deluxe It doesn't take much gain to get that "just right" feel on the Drive Channel.

Have a blast man!!! :D

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

dagwood,

thanks for the link, still playing with this puppy, looking for just the right sound.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

rocker

Congrats on the DeVille, they are great sounding amps.

Now you see how loud they are. :twisted:

Don't be afraid to turn those knobs, you can really get a lot of different tones out of these amps, but like any amp it takes a little while to figure out.

Went to see my friend Rob's band this last Saturday night. This is the guy who sold me my LP Studio earlier this year. He plays in a Classic & Modern Rock band. They are pretty great. He uses an HRD unmic'd with a Digitech RP200. Man, he sounded awesome. They were loud and had a large crowd. The HRD cut through easy. At break he told me he had the volume on the Clean channel at 3.

Anyway, the Hot Rod series are great amps. Have lots of fun and write us your own detailed review in a few days.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wes,

this amp is just amazing, i'm glad i got to read posts from you and the other guys, about the hot rod series, its probably the best amp i have ever heard. my crate solid state
(which i decided to keep for a back up) is not in the same world as the deville, and man this amp is deafening, i have everyone on the block ticked off at me :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

rocker

Very glad you are happy with the DeVille. That's easy, they really are very nice sounding amps.

By the way, did you get the 4 X 10 or the 2 X 12?

What guitars are you playing through this? Just curious. But one thing I have found it that almost every guitar sounds good through these amps. My Strat just sounds fantastic through it, but I really didn't expect my LP would. But it does.

I know I have told people how loud these amps are, they probably thought I was exaggerating. But as you see (or hear rather), I was not. These amps are loud enough to handle any gig without being mic'd. If you need an amp louder than this, you have to be deaf. :roll:

Oh, a little trick. If you use the 2nd instrument input, the volume will not be as sensitive as the 1st. Using this input you can probably get Volume up to 4 or more at home. The 1st input is very sensitive, volume comes on quick.

One thing you will find though, the louder you turn up this amp, the better it will sound.

Have fun and don't get yourself arrested.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wes,

i got the 4x10, also, i stopped at a small pawn shop on the way home today, the guy has a 4x12 cab there, he said he has had it for a year or so and he would let me have it for 125
bucks, i cant tell what kind of cab it is, there is no name on the cab it self, and there are no names on the back of the speakers, i told him i would be in tommorow with my deville and guitar to check it out, i wan't a cab to go with this beast :twisted: , i have a epi lp black beauty
that i changed all 3 pups to dimarzio's, a super distortion f spaced in the bridge, and paf pro's in the middle and neck, i also have a zoom 505 II and a morley bad horsie 2 wah. i found out
about the 2nd input the first night i got that amp, i was trying to hit saturation with out blowing my f#*king head off, an attenuator is the next case of gas that i'll get. got my first gig in 3 weeks, should have it by then. wes you know the old saying " you get what you pay for" this amp is well worth the 700 i paid, god i hope that cab sounds good :twisted:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

rocker

Make sure to read your manual before you hook up a speaker cab to your amp. Your amp can operate at either 4 ohms or 8 ohms. The 4 X 10s you have now are 8 ohms impedence. So, if you use an external cab it MUST be 8 ohms impedence also. Your 4 X 10s plus an 8 ohm speaker cabinet in parallel is a 4 ohm load. That is ok. But if that cab is 4 ohms, then it cannot be used with your amps speakers at the same time. That is less than a 4 ohms load and could cause the amp to overheat, and possibly damage it very quickly.

If you do not know the ohms rating of this cab I wouldn't even dare plug it into your brand new amp.

If it is a 4 ohm cab, you can still use it. But you must use an "open" or "dummy" plug in the Main Speaker jack. Then, the 4 ohm cab would have to be plugged into the External Speaker jack. Make sure to use speaker cable, not instrument cable.

But now you wouldn't be able to use your amps speakers.

Why would you want to do that? You already have 4 speakers. :D

You should check out Avatar speakers. They make great cabs, you can choose a wide variety of speakers, you can make sure to order it at 8 ohms, and their prices are great. You can also order it with the perfect colors to match your amp. I have a 2 X 12, matches my HRD perfectly.

Click on Guitar Cabs at top.

I really wouldn't chance that cab unless you know what the impedence it is for absolute certain. Play this gig without a cab. They look great on stage.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wes

you might have just saved me, i did not know that, and i doubt the guy at the pawn shop does, man, wes, i cant even think about it, i wanted a cab, i quess, hell i thought it would sound fuller, you know what i mean? you know the quest for the right sound the ," give me tone or give me death" way of thinking, i owe you one wes, you probably saved my amp, i can play, but as far as hooking up what to what, i'm an accident waiting to happen, thanks for the link, i'll look into those cabs, in 8 ohms :!:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

rocker

Just didn't want you to damage your brand new amp. That would be heartbreaking.

Look on the back of the cab. If it says 8 ohms, you should be fine. Or if you have a buddy who knows electronics, they might be able to determine the impedence (ohms) of the cab.

Most cabs are 8 ohms. But there are some 4 ohm cabs and even 16 ohm cabs (like Marshall cabs).

Ohms is a measure of resistance. The lower the ohms, the less resistance to current flow.

An amp is designed best to run at a certain impedence or ohms rating. Your DeVille is designed to operate best a 4 ohms or 8 ohms.

If you hooked up a 16 ohm Marshall cab to your amp it will work. But there is too much resistance. Your amp will not be able to really push it's full power.

But if you hooked up a 4 or 2 ohm cab in addition with your amps 8 ohm speakers, this is too little resistance. Current will flow too easily through the amp. The amp is not designed to handle this much current. It will overheat. It can burn out in a matter of seconds. :shock:

Too much resistance is kinda like driving with your foot on the brake pedal. Too little resistance is like having no brakes at all.

So read your manual. It shows exactly what speaker configuration you can use with this amp. Get a cab, just make sure it is rated 8 ohms. Then you can safely use it with your amp and have 8 speakers going! :D

Oh, and never, ever operate a tube amp without a speaker load. This too can damage your amp. So, if you are pulling that speaker jack out, make sure the amp is off, and that a speaker is hooked up to the amp before you fire it up.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

wes,

i looked all over that cab for a make, model, serial number, found nothing ledgible, this cab has got to be pretty old, i checked out the avatar cabs that you turned me on to, great user ratings, colours hit dead on, i think thats the way i'm gonna go, i'm going to do like you said, do this gig without the cab, because i really want an attenuator ( hope i spelled that right) more than the cab, thanks wes, for all your help, it has been priceless, i'll let you know how the gig goes, v ery nervous about it, and when i get tha avatar cab, thanks a million :wink:

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2