Clear all

lighting for my amplifier?

13 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@zigsgsx97)
Topic starter  

Hey,
I play in a band at bars with my marshall half stack and I'm looking to brighten up my display, literally. Is there such a thing as a visual (possibly) lighting effect I can buy for my cabinet or head to improve the look especially in the dark? People like colorful blinking lights and I've been researching, but have come up empty. Any thoughts or suggestions or pictures of what you've done?

(@cringe)
Estimable Member

I'm having a hard time understanding why you want to highlight your amp??? As long as the sound is good why does it matter?

ReplyQuote
(@clockworked)
Reputable Member

Why do guitars have paint jobs? If it sounds good, why does it matter? Anyway..

Maybe get some Christmas lights up there, or even some colored LED light strips. Stuff that you can line the amp with. I don't know if you'd get any interference though, that might be a possibility.

Used to be, was a part of me felt like hiding.. but now it comes through. Comes through to you.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Maybe some of the Electroluminescent or Cold Cathode lighting stuff that computer guys use for case mods?

Something like this stuff, perhaps*
Or maybe something LED based

And clockworked is right, some of the things that need strange power supplies, mention "plasma" in the advertisement, or are neon based might cause interference/hum/buzz/some other strange noises.

*I have no affiliation with that store, it's the first hit I found in my Google search. Check at a local computer shop that supplies the do-it-yourself crowd.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@handelfan)
Eminent Member

We put some lights on amps in my church service around Christmas time, and we didn't seem to get any interference. With a Marshall cab, you could always try lining the inside edge with red rope lights or something, you'll get a sharper look with cleaner lines than you will with any other type of christmas lights.

PS - I hate blinking lights, so I guess I'm an exception.

I am where my mind put me.

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member

yeah...i was gonna suggest rope lighting. like run it up over the top or inside the cab or something. that would look pretty cool.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
 Davo
(@davo)

I've noticed that certain band put lights inside their heads. I, for instance, have a B-52ST100 head that I use to use. I took one of those 12 inch neon tubes that a lot people put in their cars inside the cover of my head. In fact I beleive that I bought it at autozone. Anyway, I spliced in a 9V power supply right to the neon, mounted inside the front cover, and it looked amazing. No problems with interference or heat or anything. Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I've noticed that certain band put lights inside their heads.
Shining out of their ears & eyes? Cool!

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@handelfan)
Eminent Member

Yeah like the end of Matrix Revolutions or something. That would be a new look for bands - you could be pioneers! :D

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I once had a string of X-mas tree lights I'd wrap around my bass amp.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Look in the catalogue of one of the Radio Shack type of place for party lights that flash in time with the music

here
or here

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@hartkeha3500)
Eminent Member

lol just buy mini strobelights
or if ur in te mood to blind everyone
just plug a floodlight in and place it on your amp head
you got lighting for your amp

ReplyQuote
(@handelfan)
Eminent Member

There are always the two-foot wal-mart black light tubes you could mount somewhere too, unless blacklights are out of style now.....

Maybe you should add some lights to your guitar too, or wear some flourescent (and/or white) colors so the black light makes your actual person light up too! Just like a scene out of Batman Forever or something. I know, there I go with the movies again.

ReplyQuote