Lithium Batteries - Memory

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@preston)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I need the advice of a computer guru, probably. :-[
I have a KAWAI GB-2 Session Trainer/ Drum Machine. It uses a lithium battery (about the size of a US quarter) to protect the memory while the power is off to the unit. It has been over 5 years since it was replaced, so I figure it's time.

Somewhere, I wrote down which batt it takes, but lost my note. I need to take the batt out to get the number.
My Dealer (no longer in business) replaced it last time.

Here's my question. If I just pop it out and back in real quick, will the memory be erased with no power supplied? Should I plug in the AC while I change the battery?

Thx  :)

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I don't THINK you lose your memory. I replaced a battery in a Digitech RP-12, and I don't believe it lost it's memory.

Radio Shack carries just about every battery in the world. If they don't have it in stock (your battery is probably very common), they can order it for you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@preston)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hi Wes.
Thanks for the reply, but...

I don't THINK you lose your memory.

...that's not a comforting answer, buddy. :D

I'm not familiar with the RP-12. Does it have a micro-processor? If so, then these things are probably a lot alike.
The thing is; I've got tracks that took forever to program into the dang machine, and I'd SURE hate to lose them! I should stop being so lazy and put them on a cassette, I know. :-[

I need a more definate answer than I don't THINK you lose your memory". :P

Does anyone know the proceedure for replacing a battery in a desktop PC? It should be the same, huh?

Thanks again, Wes. If I don't get some concrete answer, I'll just Do It. You'll comiserate with me, won't ya? :)

"Don't try to describe a KISS concert if you've never seen it." Jimmy Buffett

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, that is not a comforting answer. But I would rather you lose all your settings than getting electrocuted playing around inside a live unit.

The RP-12 is a guitar effects processor that came out about 5 years ago. Micro processor? I don't know. Probably. It has 125 presets which you can edit to your own liking. The only reason I couldn't give a definite answer is this was about 3 years ago or so. I did change the battery, and I don't believe I lost anything.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@paul-donnelly)
Noble Member

In a desktop PC, you just turn it off and swap the battery.  You lose your clock setting, but that's all.  Everything importany is in ROM or on the hard drive.  I don't know about your machine.  Is it hard drive  based, or maybe flash memory?  If so, I can upgrade "I don't THINK you lose your memory" to "You probably won't lose your memory."

ReplyQuote