Clear all

Live Set Up

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

we play shows where the acoustic guitars go straight to the PA and an electric through a 30watt practice amp... latly we have added a cab which needs to be mic'ed in order to go through the PA so we can record teh sound. We have a high end condenser mic for that but we seem to get crazy feedback and its either so hot it clips or you ehar nothing at all? any advice?

"my choice is what i choose to do
and if i'm causing no harm
it shouldn't bother you
your choice is who you choose to be
and if your causin' no harm
then you're alright with me"
~Ben Harper

(@leear)
Honorable Member

real easy fix.........DON'T USE A CONDENSER MIC.... get u a SM57 greatest mic ever created for mic'ing instruments and the such.... condenser mics pic up alot of ambient noise and pick up noise from all over the stage... so a lot of sound is going through them... i'm guessing you have it run through monitors too..........the condenser mic makes the feedback loop much easier than a regular mic...........as far as no sound at all.......make sure ur Phantom power works right.

All in all................NO CONDENSER MIC FOR INSTRUMENTS(with some exceptions)

get u a SM57 it will make ur life so much easier

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Note that condenser mics can be great for recording instruments, but there is no amplification, so there is no concern for feedback.

Follow leear's advice...

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I am with Leear and Laz on the SM57. It is the most popular instrument mic of all time.

If you are not mic'ing your guitars a soundhole plug will greatly help to reduce feedback.

Soundhole Plug

And especially with acoustics, speaker placement is very important. Make sure your main or front of house speakers are out in front of any microphones. If you use monitors make sure all mics are behind them with the rear of the mic pointing toward the woofer.

If you only have main speakers, do not place them behind the band. Put them out in front and turn one around maybe halfway facing the band. This will allow you to hear yourself without producing feedback.

By the way, the Shure SM57 is also an excellent vocal mic and very good for acoustic players because it will not pickup from the guitar or floor monitors.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote