Notifications
Clear all

looking for an amp similer to what i had back in 1991

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cmckay_nj)
Topic starter  

hey guys.. i'm on a hunt for an old school crate amp i had back in 1990.. i would say it was mid to late 1980's

as i recall it had maybe 2x6.5, or 2x8 or maybe even 2x10.... speakers.. they were celections.. the amp had reverb, chorus, dist.. etc.. it was a nice little amp... i always remember the sound being awesome.... didnt play guitar for a long time, and now kind of back into it.. so here i am 20 years later.. looking to get that 80's distortion sound again.. and have not been able to get just the right sound... i have a digitech rp250... and sound great on head phones but.. the little practice amp isnt doing it.. any leads on a possible model number.. etc.. would be great if any one can remember that long ago... great forum....

chris

(@valcom2)

I have something that sounds similar to what you are looking for from late 80s, a Fender Automatic GT. Has 1X10 Celestion, Chorus, five fuzz presets. Was actually a precursor to the current Fender DEC. Fantastic little practice amp! I can't turn it up past 2 because it just gets too loud.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Hi Chris,

I bought a Crate amp back in 88/89 or so.... I believe it was a G212XL.
Def 80's distortion, if that's the sound that you're looking for!

Don't know the model that you had, though I would suggest looking thru this:
http://reviews.harmony-central.com/reviews/Guitar+Amp/brand/Crate

See if any of those model numbers sound familiar to you.
If you havn't a clue, I'd start at the G models.... most of those should fall into the right era for you.

Good luck!

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@cmckay_nj)
Topic starter  

hi ken... your on the money.... i looked around a bit more and i figured it out....

model
g40cxl
g40cxls

i beleive the one i had was the xls.. i know for sure it had celestions.... they are pretty hard to find... if anyone has one they dont want/need.. i'm interested.. i did find one here in nj but it's in rough shape... and the guy was asking like 125 for it... i did find some others on craigslist and such but they dont want to ship... i'm in nj/.. it would be nice to pick it up rather then ship..

thanks for the advise it really helped...

ReplyQuote
(@cmckay_nj)
Topic starter  

hey guys.. i'm proud to say i FINALLY found a crate g40cxls amp that i've been looking for.. for quite some time.. it's in really good shape.. i should have at my door tomorrow... price with shipping right around $100.00 so im psyched. hope is shows up i'll be playing aall weekend forsure... ken thanks again for your info it really helped.

chris

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Cool. Weekend's here. Good luck and have fun with that! 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote