Skip to content
Looking to build an...

Notifications
Clear all

Looking to build an amp stand. Post your pics for ideas.

15 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
(@midwestguitarman)
Topic starter  

Looking to build an amp stand. Can you post your pics to give me some ideas on what to build?

(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

Here's mine

It also doubles as seat! Will wonders never sease?

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@daniel-lioneye)
Reputable Member

Here's mine

It also doubles as seat! Will wonders never sease?

I wonder why people pay money for amp stands when they probably already have several around the house :wink:

Guitars: Electric: Jackson DX10D, J. Reynolds Fat Strat copy
Acoustic: New York and a Jasmine.
Amps: Austin 15 watt, Fender Deluxe 112, Fender Champion 600 5w, 0ld 1970's Sears 500g.
Effects: Digitech Whammy, Big Muff Pi USA, MXR, Washburn Distortion.

ReplyQuote
(@lunchmeat)
Estimable Member

If you're looking for something a little more heavy-duty (for a cab or something), you can build a table.

If you really want to, you can sculpt it out of rock or something, if you really want to make things harder than they are.

My best suggestion would be to play with a bassist with a 4x10 or something similar, and use that as an amp stand. Many benefits.

-lunchmeat

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

You could make something similar to this:

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I just lean mine back and stand in roughly the area where it's pointed at my head. I wouldn't want to take it off the floor either, a lot of the bassiness comes through the contact with the floor (unless I get grief from the neighbours anyway :wink:)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@kaizer-szoza)
Estimable Member

make a cabinet, then a long fold away/adjustable handle, then attach some heavy duty wheels the bottom back and you can move it around like a dolli/hand cart/luggage.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

A potential risk of tipping an amp back is of disrupting the convective flow of warm air away from the tubes. Many amps rely on free flow of air through an open backed cab, and have closed tops and fronts. Tip one like that backwards and hot air pools in the top of the cab, airflow over the tubes slows, and they run too hot. Also be careful about putting the open back against a wall or other obstruction. If it's sitting upright and has at least an inch and a half clear behind it, it will be OK. If you want to make a habit of tipping it, consider installing a cooling fan. Or put a vent in the top, towards the front. Some amps have a grille in the front that facilitates air flow.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I've only got a little 15w solid-state practice amp though :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Seriously though; make a small crate with handles and wheels. You can pack gear into it and set your amp on top of it. If you have a nice amp you could make it as a transport case for the amp so it doesn't get hurt say in the back of a truck on the way to a gig. When you get there, pop it out and set it on top. I've seen this done with a flange for a goose neck mic attached to the case for micing the amp. The guy just screwed the goose neck in, put a mic in the holder and bent it towards the speaker.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I keep forgetting there are amps with no tubes in them.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

make a cabinet, then a long fold away/adjustable handle, then attach some heavy duty wheels the bottom back and you can move it around like a dolli/hand cart/luggage.
That's an idea I came up with a few years ago, too. Used some wheels off an old skateboard of my son's.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

I keep forgetting there are amps with no tubes in them.
Rub it in, why not! :wink:

ReplyQuote
(@riff-raff)
Reputable Member

20 bucks at MF will get you one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Deluxe-Amp-Stand?sku=450811

On the plus side, you can put your pedals under it. Also, if you have a bunch of knobs on your amp and the labels are under the knobs the labels are easier to read. WHY DO AMP MANUFACTURERS DO THIS?!!??? I HAVE TO GET ON MY HANDS AND KNEES AND TILT THE STUPID AMP BACK TO READ THE LABELS TO ADJUST ANYTHING!!!!! However, if your amp's knobs are located on the top towards the back, like a Fender Blues Deluxe, it would make it harder to read.

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

20 bucks at MF will get you one of these:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Musicians-Friend-Deluxe-Amp-Stand?sku=450811

On the plus side, you can put your pedals under it. Also, if you have a bunch of knobs on your amp and the labels are under the knobs the labels are easier to read. WHY DO AMP MANUFACTURERS DO THIS?!!??? I HAVE TO GET ON MY HANDS AND KNEES AND TILT THE STUPID AMP BACK TO READ THE LABELS TO ADJUST ANYTHING!!!!! However, if your amp's knobs are located on the top towards the back, like a Fender Blues Deluxe, it would make it harder to read.

I have one of those stands and it works great. I have a 2x12 combo amp on it.

Dan

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote