9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Hello helpfull nice people!! :D !!

i'm stuck :roll:

I really really want a looper / sampler / phrase recorder to play with!

I saw a Line6 DL-4 looping machine in use and they look like wicked fun. Then I looked online at the prices :cry: expensive man around £200

then i looked for similar products Boss loop station and JamMan - which i found were still around £200.

I have a limited cash flow and am looking for a cheaper :oops: alternative with a looping function, anyone know of such a product?

hope you can help me :!:

J

(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

you may be out of luck.
those 'toys' are costly.
anything that would be less expensive probley would be a P.O.S.

the Line 6 is awesome. I dont have one but my jam mate has. he does fantastic things with it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The Line 6 DL-4 is especially great because it's one of the better delay FX units around -- a real A-1 effect that emulates many of the great and classic analog and digital delays. As a looper it's pretty good, and easy to use, but just a bit short on the memory time: No more than 28 or 29 seconds in reduced bandwidth mode (still pretty good sound).

The Boss Loopstation is a looper and only a looper. It's a bit more complicated to use than the DL-4, but has a lot more sample time split among numerous patches and some special features a dedicated looper should have: undo for last layer, dedicated "ending" patch and more.

Hopefully you can find something used.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

:cry: wont have one for a while then.

never mind, I'm determined, I will save and keep my eyes open for a used one.

The Line-6 is awesome, I've seen it in action, but the Boss sounds good too.

now i have even more of a problem, I've got to pick which looper to save for.

oh well at least i'll have time to think!!!

thanks for the help guys, much appreciated

J

8)

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

You have a PC. Why not use Sound recorder (free as part of Windoze) to create loops?

There are sample libraries online, or Computer Music Magazine has a couple of thousand freebies with each issue, and with a little time and effort you can create backing tracks for a whole song to play along with

Load the loop into Audacity (free) and you even have recording capability for the cost of a mag and a mic

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

I have a Digitech Jamman and I love it.

But new it comes in at $300.

Still, it's a fantastic gadget and really really usefull.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@jimbob)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

hi - thanks for the help

@ kingpatzer - I saw the jamman which also looks good but in the UK its still around the same price range as the others - another one to consider tho! thanks

@ Alan Green - that is one of my ideas too but unfortunatly I come online at work - I have a computer at home but its old and not brilliant - my friend has lots of studio programs and I am planning to get a computer so i can make music (not just loops) but it wont be for a while.
Also i like the idea of a pedal more because its so quick and could be used live. thanks for the reply

I have just found this tho anyone rate it? http://www.dv247.com/invt/22816/ although i can't seem to find what kind of memory it has for looping. if anyone has one or has used one could they say if its any good?

thanks again!!

J

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

That has just under 24 seconds of loop -- it's basically a fancy delay more than a loop pedal.

The Jamman is really nice for no other reason than you can really load it up with the compact flash card. A 2 gig card gives 6.5 hours of looping!!

It also has a nice array of inputs and outputs.

The Boss RC-50 is still the king of the non-rackmount loopers, but at the price they ask it should be.

The jamman is superior to the RC-20XL just for expandability, but also for the ability to do everything you need to with foot switches (sold seperately of course but still . . ). The RC-20XL makes you play with chicklet sized buttons . . . not good!

The real advantage of the RC-20 is the ability to reverse loops. Which can be fun, but I've honestly never found a reason to do that in a a real song.

My biggest objection to doing looping with a computer is that I have to be sitting at the computer. I dont' always want to be stuck at my desk in order to play my instrument.

Moreover, you can't really do the looping "live" with a computer.

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The jamman is superior to the RC-20XL just for expandability, but also for the ability to do everything you need to with foot switches (sold seperately of course but still . . ). The RC-20XL makes you play with chicklet sized buttons . . . not good!

The real advantage of the RC-20 is the ability to reverse loops. Which can be fun, but I've honestly never found a reason to do that in a a real song.

To be fair, the RC-20(XL) has not only two integrated footswitches, but also jacks for two more footswitches to control patch switching and .... well something else that I can't recall at the moment.

I bought an RC-20 after having fun doing short loops with my DL-4. But still find DL-4 a lot more fun to play around with as compared to the RC-20. Guess I like simpler UIs.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote