Clear all

Marshall Jcm 800

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@elroywagginz)
Topic starter  

Hey all.
I have a marshall 100w, jcm 800 head, jcm 900 quad box.
As of late, whilst playing, the volume drops to about 50% (roughly), of the set volume, occasionally comes back, then drops back again.
Happens regardless of what pedals are on (even if no pedals).
Anyone else had this problem? What was the fix?
Any ideas?
Don't wanna/can't afford to pay the exorbitant fees at the local tech shop.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanx.

:P

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Go here: http://geofex.com/ Click on the link for "Tube Amp Pages." Then look for a link that says something like "Tube Amp Debugging FAQ" or some such. It'll help you get it sorted.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

My Marshall DSL401 did that. And it got worse with time. I did some reading and found it was caused by overheating caused by the bridge rectifier. I am not an electronics guy so I took it in for repairs, cost about $180 to get it fixed. I had the tech go over all the solders, since then the amp has performed flawless. I found from articles that this was a very common problem with this particular amp until 2002 when Marshall corrected the problem.

Here is an article about this problem.

http://www.piller.at/music/index.php?target=dsl201/index.html

Now, as far as I know this problem was only with the DSL401, but your symtoms are exactly the same. My volume would fade out while I was playing. Sometimes the volume would come back in a minute or so, sometimes I had to turn the amp off and turn it back on. It only happened once in awhile at first, but then became very frequent.

Wes

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@elroywagginz)
Topic starter  

Cool, Thanks for your help!

ReplyQuote