Clear all

Marshall mg50

17 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Tomorrow I'm picking up a Marshall MG50,I've heard the fan dies on most of them but i was wondering what others think of the actual amp itself?I have been told by the guy who's selling it to me that I have 7 days to take it back.The bonus for me is that it has a headphone jack because I have a tenant in the basement.Anyone own one or played one?My other thought was a Roland cube 60 and when i called this a.m. Long&mcquade said they were discontinued.I played the MG50 in Toronto last week and was quite pleased(never heard the fan start-up problem).Any opinion is a good opinion and yes I read a ton of reviews this week.

GG

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I owned a Marshall MG50RCD about 5 or 6 years ago. This may not be the same model as yours. Mine had a CD jack on the back so you could play along with a CD player. I never used this feature at all.

I liked it, and even used it for gigs quite a bit. It was plenty loud. I liked both the clean and overdrive channels. I usually don't like the tone of most solid states, but I liked my Marshall. I used the amps distortion, sounded great to me with some tweaking.

The only thing I didn't like was the quality. It gave me some problems. Once, it started humming and buzzing. Took me awhile to figure it out, but all the screws holding the speaker in came very loose. After that I would check the amp regular and tighten all the screws. They would work themselves loose again. Not a terrible problem at all, but the only amp I've ever owned that did this.

The little flat bolt on the input jack stripped loose. I am careful with gear. I do not yank my cords out. The input is plastic. I ended up using a strong glue to fix this problem.

The gain control went wierd. It would have full gain at all times regardless of where the knob was set. I eventually fixed this as well.

The channel switch pedal stopped working too. I bought a new one.

So, this was a good sounding amp with lots of power. But the quality of the amp was not that great. I still liked the amp though.

I own a Marshall DSL401 now. I love the tone. But it is in the shop for repairs right now.

As I said, I am very careful with my gear. I usually never have a problem with anything.

I love Marshall amps but they seem to have quality issues. That is all I can tell you.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes,I'm starting to think that the price might not be a saving grace(499.00 canadian).I need the jack output for the house phones(I sit them back on my head) but I think I'll be asking Rob at the shop a few questions about returns and beefs.I did always figure on loose screws etc. due to the speaker being in the same cabinet.I'm wondering if seven days will give me a clue on the amp if you've had a few issues with Marshall amps.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

becksbolero

I don't want to talk you out of this amp if you like it. To be fair, I was in a very active band at that time, we were playing 2-3 gigs per week. So this amp was gettin' thrown around a lot. I am careful as I said, but we would pack all our gear in the back of a van continuously. That stuff bounces around and hits each other no matter how careful you are. So that might have contributed to the problems as careful as I tried to be.

But I was very happy with the sound of the amp, I really liked it a lot.

On the other hand, I can remember three bands I have seen where the guitarist's amp quit on them in the middle of a gig. And all three were Marshalls, no kidding.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

As an aging Brit :wink: , I'm afraid I have to say it was always that way with Marshalls. Wonderful sound, but temperamental! People used to carry spares in my day, those that could afford them. Whereas my poor abused Vox AC30 (we were gigging 5 nights a week often, driving miles in a terrible old van) never once needed anything more than new valves from time to time!

I really like the MG series for their sound - proper Marshalls despite being solid state - but I don't think they're any more (or less) reliable than any other Marshalls. But if you can look after it, there are few amps in the price bracket that will give you quite that sound 8)

ReplyQuote
(@rip-this-joint)
Estimable Member

Don't forget, I am selling mine. The fan is only a problem when it gets dirty, and the tone is good for a solid state. However i want to get a HRD.

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I think I'll be finding out how far the amp will have to go for service,whether they will give me a loaner free while it's gone all that type of thing.The music shop is well respected here in Canada and has actually won a service award but although the guys are pretty much all musicians I doubt they work on amps.I've taken to the shop mainly because it usually has a few people in it when I've gone in and quite a few times it's been elbow to elbow.I can't remember ever going in when someone wasn't playing something.Time for a snooze(working nights)and I'm picking the amp up at noon.Thanks for the insight!

GG

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

becksbolero

I don't know if this is out of your price range, but I would take a serious look at the Traynor YCV50Blue. Traynor (Yorkville) is made in Canada, so perhaps your price will be very reasonable. Yorkville is known for excellent quailty. This is a very "Marshall" sounding amp.

Traynor YCV50 Blue

I have been looking at this amp for sometime myself. It is definitely on my "wish list".

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

PVTele

Maybe Marshall is getting a bad rap. Yes, they are known for having more problems than some other brands. But perhaps that is not a true reflection of Marshall's quality.

Look at who buys a Fender versus a Marshall (generally speaking). Someone who buys a Fender wants a great clean tone and reverb. They are going to play Blues, Country, or Classic Rock.

But who buys a Marshall? That person wants to ROCK! That amp is going to be cranked as loud as it can go most of the time.

So generally, Marshall owners are probably far more abusive of their amps than someone who buys a Fender, or a Vox.

Amps do a lot of work. I don't think I could handle electricity running through me for hours at a time. :D

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, done deal but thank you Wes,I can hear the fan on startup but only if I'm paying attention.I've only had it since one pm or so and they threw an amp stand in but forgot the power cord,go figure.I love the sound on both my electrics and for me it has lots of wattage.I prefer it with the E-Lp but then again I prefer that guitar.I haven't really tried alot except the clean channel yet but Rob told me,bring the amp back here if you have a problem and we ship it from here.I cranked it up to about 8 on the gain in the house on the clean channel and was quite pleased.I thought I'd lost my mind when I jacked the headset in and the speaker still worked until I realized I had to turn the master volume off,duhh.I'm pleased but hope the dependability issues don't bite me in the long run.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I just saw the triple post,must have been my server issues,they're really beginning to bug me,slow service and a lot of overseas spam. I had just got off night shift so I was kind of flippy this am.That amp looks quite impressive Wes, if I have to many issues with the Marshall I'll try one out(Macaulays doesn't carry them though,just marshalls,fenders and a few ampegs.
Sorry about the triple post guys.Well off to the salt mines,take care all.

GG

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There where 4 of the same post and I removed 3 of them. It's been happening lately. Being I'm a tube amp fan, I'll suggest that you try a few different type's of amps out. You be surprised on how much different they sound and feel when compared to a solid state. Don't take me wrong, I'm not talking SS amps down, everyone has their own thoughts when it comes to tone. I've always recommend all tube amp first, equalizer second, and attenuator third. Then work from there for effects.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Forrok for your post,I just got the Pennysaver and there's a Fender Deville 2x12 for 600 canadian but when i talked to him he was pretty whacked,It works out to about a 200 dollar discount up here so i'm waiting a week to see if he puts it back in the paper.I'd pay him 500 bills if it didn't look abused.Do you guys like this amp?
I like the marshall but for 500 i'd grab the deville
FEEL free to give me input!!!

GG

ReplyQuote
(@pvtele)
Reputable Member

PVTele

Maybe Marshall is getting a bad rap. Yes, they are known for having more problems than some other brands. But perhaps that is not a true reflection of Marshall's quality.

Look at who buys a Fender versus a Marshall (generally speaking). Someone who buys a Fender wants a great clean tone and reverb. They are going to play Blues, Country, or Classic Rock.

But who buys a Marshall? That person wants to ROCK! That amp is going to be cranked as loud as it can go most of the time.

So generally, Marshall owners are probably far more abusive of their amps than someone who buys a Fender, or a Vox.

Amps do a lot of work. I don't think I could handle electricity running through me for hours at a time. :D

Just picked up on your post, Wes ...

Yes, good point. I wonder how much of the fabled Roland reliability (apart from their being solid state :wink: ) is down to the fact that they're so often used by jazzmen, used to looking after their fragile and expensive archtops?

After all, the archetypal Marshall user was one Mr Hendrix - not a man known for his respect for his kit, despite (because of?) the wonderful noises it produced for him 8)

ReplyQuote
(@becksbolero)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

It's a great amp for me Wes,so far it's held up with absolutely minimal fan noise,it doesn't sound like a fender tube amp on any setting but that wasn't what I was after and as far as settings go I haven't used the effects much and what I have used I'm not really suprised about their limits.I'm certainly not disappointed with this amp but I'm not a pro player.I've been leaving it on overnight to see if it overheats or the fan gets noisy,so far so good.

GG

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2