Clear all

Marshall MG50DFX Help!

9 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rjnix_0329)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I didn't know where to put this, but I think my current state of mind constitutes panic. I have only had my Marshall MG50DFX for about 3 or 4 months, and have had no problem with it so far. Today, after purchasing my new wah pedal, I tried to set it up. When I turned it on, it gave me a horrible static noise, and I thought it was the pedal. I unplugged the pedal and plugged the guitar straight into the amp, same sound. So I unhooked the guitar cable, same sound. Right now, nothing is plugged into the amp, amp settings are ALL at 0, and the amp is plugged directly into the wall socket. The sound is the same volume no matter what the volume is at, and it is a very thunderous static sound. Does anyone have any idea what would be wrong?

(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

Sorry to tell you, but the amp will need to be fixed by a service tech. It's all solid-state, so there's not anything else you can do.

I purchased an MG30DFX for a rehearsal amp about 4-5 years ago from Musicians Friend online. The first amp I received was DOA. Fuse was OK, but no lights or any signs of life. MF shipped me another straight away, and when I fired that one up, the fan in back immediately made a horrible grinding racket. Again, MF shipped me yet another. This one arrived with a blown speaker. I mean blown as in didn't make a peep.

At this point, MF referred me to Korg USA, as apparently Korg was refusing to reimburse MF any further. After an excruciatingly-long (close to an hour!!) wait on the phone listening to Korg-flavored Muzak, I finally talked to a service and warranty representative. After putting me through his scripted questions, he finally gave me an RA number and UPS pickup ticket. After receiving the old amp, they shipped me another.

This one spewed black smoke when I turned it on. Back through Muzak-hell with Korg again, this time the service rep all but accused me of lying and trying to run some sort of scam. He refused to take any action at first, until I finally told him he'd leave me no choice but to take legal action and file a lawsuit, and report Korg to the BBB for failure to live up to their warranty. He hesitated still, so I added that I've been playing professionally for over 30 years and help many people and businesses with equipment recommendations, and I would make sure to steer anyone I could away from Korg/Marshall.

The service representative finally agreed, and gave me another RA and UPS pickup ticket. He told me though that Korg USA would NOT honor any warranty whatsoever on this amplifier. Upon finally receiving the latest amp, I left it in the box and had a friend sell it on Ebay for me at a loss.

Musicians Friend was great, and went above and beyond trying to help. Korg was arrogant and uncaring. I have continued to make purchases through Musicians Friend and have been quite happy. I WILL NOT EVER buy another Marshall (or Korg) product though. The only exception would be for a vintage '60s or '70s-era Marshall. Marshall themselves are impossible to contact or talk to. The only response I was able to get was a referral to Korg USA.

This is an absolutely true account. I provide this as fair warning to anyone thinking about purchasing one of the MG-series amps. rjnix, I wish you good luck and I hope you have better luck than I did. I would, however, recommend you exchange that MG-series Marshall for something else if at all possible.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I've used a Marshall MG30DFX myself for some years with no problems. I sent them a link to this thread.

A

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@tinsmith)
Prominent Member

Probably covered by warranty.

I had to send mine back. I had crappy solder connections. I've got a AVT50

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

I've used a Marshall MG30DFX myself for some years with no problems. I sent them a link to this thread.

A

If by "them" you mean Marshall themselves, good luck with that. I've not been able to find any way whatsoever to contact anyone at Marshall themselves. As I said, the only response I've ever gotten was a form response with Korg USA's contact info. If by "them" you mean Korg USA, they've already heard the whole sordid tale in 6-part harmony. They don't care. They have the exclusive Marshall distribution rights in the USA. They no longer have to care. Marshall is....Marshall. The Marshall name will sell no matter what. Their money is in the bank.

Apparently Marshall feels the same way, as they have very few (at least none I could find, and I really looked) avenues for unhappy customers in the USA to contact them if Korg USA drops the ball. I've heard it said that Marshalls' biggest competitor is old Marshalls. This doesn't surprise me considering my experience. The bean counters are in charge now and they'll ride this pony until it drops dead while squeezing the corpse for every last penny, then bail with a platinum parachute. It's very sad for a once-great company and line of amplifiers.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@wspanic)

I have had my 50dfx amp for a couple of years now but here recently I have had problems with it. 1) the channel button does not work and it is stuck on the overdrive channel. 2) i have headphones and the adapter to plug into the amp but when i put the headphones in the sound still comes out of the amp and not into the headphones. Any feedback would be appreciated.

ReplyQuote
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member

dont know how yous were unable to contact maeshall, i had an issue with a dsl401 last year and phoned marshall, spoke to a woman at the reception and she said to phone back on tuesday when paul marshall was in and speak to him, so i phoned back and got to speak to him within 2 mins, must have been on the phone for about 15 mins with him giving him details of where and when i got the amp, although he never phoned me back :lol: im pretty sure i got the number of the internet, if your in america you might need to get up early to phone the uk though

ReplyQuote
(@stratman_el84)
Estimable Member

dont know how yous were unable to contact maeshall, i had an issue with a dsl401 last year and phoned marshall, spoke to a woman at the reception and she said to phone back on tuesday when paul marshall was in and speak to him, so i phoned back and got to speak to him within 2 mins, must have been on the phone for about 15 mins with him giving him details of where and when i got the amp, although he never phoned me back :lol: im pretty sure i got the number of the internet, if your in america you might need to get up early to phone the uk though

Here in the U.S. the Marshall website serves you pages based on your geographical location. The page(s) you see there in the U.K. are not the same as we in the U.S. see. Korg U.S.A. is the only option given for contact, and Korg refuses to provide any contact info for Marshall U.K.

Cheers!

Strat

ReplyQuote
(@tlc1963)

I have the same amp with the same exact loud static noice no matter what the dials are set to, even 0. Marshall is not what it used to be. This amp is hardly used and like new but beyond warranty I'm sure. Yesterday it played fine, today it is shot. I would recommend you stay away from the Marshal MG series amps. I've been playing guitar for 30 years, there is no excuse for this inferior quality after such little use.

ReplyQuote