Notifications
Clear all

Marshall Stack Prefrance

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@misterjog)
Topic starter  

I play a DSL 100 with a 1936 Cab. I've never hooked it up to a 1960 A or B. I'm interested in knowing what changing or adding cabs could do for me. If there is anyone on here who has the run down on Mashall stacks, I sure would like to hear what you have to say.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The 1936, 1960A, and 1960B all have the exact same speaker, the Celestion G12T75 speaker. The A model is a slanted cab, while the B model is a straight cab. If you had to choose between the A and B cabs, the A would probably be a little better for live use, as the speakers angled up are easier to hear and project above people's heads. So they will project a greater distance. High frequencies especially are blocked by obstacles such as people's bodies. Bass will go anywhere. So the B cab may sound a little deeper with less highs.

The only real difference between these cabs and yours is that they will be a little fuller sounding. With a 100 watt head, a 2 X 12 each speaker will get 50 watts. With a 4 X 12, each speaker will get 25 watts. So really, the individual speakers will be about 3 decibels louder in the 1936, as everytime you double the power to a speaker you get about a 3 dB gain in volume.

However, when you add an identical speaker you get about a 3 dB increase in volume. So adding two will get you close to 6 dBs.

But, they are getting a little less power each. :roll:

A little confusing. But the 4 X 12 should probably get about a 3 dB gain in volume over the 2 X 12. And the 4 X 12 will probably handle deep bass a little better as well (dividing the power equally). So the 1960 should sound a little fuller, deeper, and with tighter bass.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@misterjog)
Topic starter  

Wes is my Hero...

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

"Did you ever knooow you were my heroooooo?"

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

"You are the wind beneath my sheets." :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote