Marshall Valvestate series of amps...

17 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
11.4 K Views
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone... given my recent tube amp issues (which may end up being nothing) I thought I'd take a look at possible "second" amps... I was thinking about the hybrid amps out there... anyone have any experience with the Marshall Valvestate amps? Seems like you get a ton of features with these amps... I also looked at the Vox hyrbids amps, but it looks like you can get "more amp" with the Marshall series... Thanks!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I believe you'll find extensive discussions of these crossbred critters in the archives.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Steve,

FWIW, I picked up a VS65R off Craig's List a few years ago for around $150.

Its a Single 12 and came with a foot switch.

I really like mine. I'm surprised at how good the "Clean" channel sounds. Its nice and rich.
The Drive Channel sounds pretty good as well and when I put an OD or Dist Pedal in front along with it, it sounds really nice.
The Reverb is good also, comes with an on board Spring Reverb.

However It does have a top end to it, that is pretty loud, that once passed doesn't sound too good.

I've read on HC that some of them have issues with the main circuit boards and some that are 10 years old now are needing Cap/Resist replacements. So far so good with mine though I need to clean the volume pot.

Overall its a good practice/small Room Amp and you could do a Small gig with it.

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

I had a 100 watt valvestate a few years ago, I liked it very much, both for clean & distortion. Sadly, I needed some cash & had to sell it. I would purchase another if the opportunity presented itself...

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

bought a computer in 97 (that's why I can't get used to old dudes on the net, it just used to be teens cussing each other out)

Dude, some of us "old guys" (and I don't think I'm that old - just in my early 40's) have been on the net longer than you've been alive. :roll:

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

I'm sure the disclaimer here is "which" net ya'll are talking about and perhaps a little misunderstanding of time frames.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Some of us old guys got old online. I've been on BBSs since '87, started on America Online in 1991, and switched over to the Net as we now know it in 1995 after getting sick of the mess AOL had turned into by then. But I was a latecomer to online activity, there was plenty going on before I got involved.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

Some of us old guys got old online. I've been on BBSs since '87, started on America Online in 1991, and switched over to the Net as we now know it in 1995 after getting sick of the mess AOL had turned into by then. But I was a latecomer to online activity, there was plenty going on before I got involved.

yepper, it's these wet behind the ears whippersnappers i can't get used to... :wink:

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I'm sure the disclaimer here is "which" net ya'll are talking about and perhaps a little misunderstanding of time frames.

The net - you know the Internet. Sure there were the little side nets that existed (e.g. bitnet) but most of those were gatewayed into the internet. Most of the bulletin board systems were not connected to the internet until later (they were little islands that usually only had 1 or 2 users on at a time) and even then the relay system was really slow. Even many systems "on the internet" would dial each other at some regular interval using UUCP and pass on news, mail, etc. Only big sites (called backbone sites) were generally always connected. In those days we had to push our bits uphill both ways.

I first started using the internet in '80 or maybe it was '81 and there already was a community in existence that had been there before I arrived. This isn't the first time I've seen folks on web boards say that "oh I was on the net in the early days" and they're talking about sometime in the 90's. If you don't remember gopher and usenet news, never set up a UUCP connection, and don't remember the transition to TCP/IP then you were never on the net in the early days. Heck, I'm sure that some of those who were there in the '70's don't even consider me to have been on the net in the early days.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

right, hyperborea! That was the difference in time frames I was speaking of, that a lot don't know about. I know about it, but was not involved until 94. So, I am way new to the "net" due to a major financial change in my life in 86 (could have been "surfing" then). But, it's all good.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

If you don't remember gopher and usenet news, never set up a UUCP connection

!foo!bar!somewhere!uucp!guitarnoise%hyperborea

Or something like that :-)

Looking back, I am pretty sure I spent way too much of my grad school time reading raging flame wars about C vs C++ on comp.lang.c and such :-)

(BTW, I am also in SillyCon Valley ..will drop you a PM)

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

What I meant to say was the World Wide Web, it wasn't around until 93.

The Web is not the net. The Web rides on top of the net. It's just one of many services that use the net (e.g. RSS, mail, ftp).
You know, when Gore invented it.

He didn't invent it and never claimed to though populist drug abusing radio talk show hosts like to lambast him for this straw man. However, as a Congressman, he was instrumental in securing funding for the early internet.

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Wow, this thread has definitely taken quite a turn!

I will say that I was alive and well on various local BBS's in the late 80's. I did QuantumServe and CompuServe back in "the day". Yeah, my C-64 had a tape-drive for all my games. Good times!

Best game of the 80's? Zork, of course!

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@striferdiem)

The first amp I ever owned was a 100W Marshall Valvstate - it was a little under 10 years ago that I picked it up (they were pretty new at the time). It was an amazing amp at the time, though I did have trouble getting it over the top of bandmates with amps using larger caps as it only had a single 12" and would really start to break up around 5-6. It also had 2 OD channels which I miss in a lot of amps I've had since. You could get clean -> dirt -> metal all with just the amp, and there were reverb controls for both clean and OD.

Spectacular first amp, I just wish I'd bought an extension speaker cabinet for it at the time.

ReplyQuote
(@ibanezjunkie)
Eminent Member

i have a 1991/92 marshall valvestate 8100 and the matching 4x12 140w cab. IMO it is awesome. the tube in the preamp of the boost channel give really great sounding overdrive and distortion, and the gain on it kicks the crap out of most BOSS od pedals.

Valvestate 8100 FTW.

Fortune, Fame, Mirror, Vain, Gone Insane But The Memory Remains

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2