Notifications
Clear all

Marsshall or Fender

9 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@surfdoc)
Topic starter  

I have been playing acoustic for a while, and was just fortunate enough to get a brand new highway 1 strat. Its a great guitar. But now I need an amp. The two I have narrowed it down to are the Fender frontmanr series II or the Marshall mg15dfx.

I enjoy all types of music but lean torwards country/folk/classic rock/blues. I know that a tube amp would probably best suit those sounds but thats not something in my 160.00 budget right now.

I would appreciate any input or suggestions on these two amps.

Thanks

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Either one would be a good choice. If possible I would try to find one that had at least a 10" or 12" inch speaker in it. Amps just sound better with that size speaker. my opinion.

Here's a couple more amps perhaps to research on.
Kustom Tube 12  tube pre-amp...$79.99

Epiphone Galaxie 10 all tube ..$169.99

I haven't played on either of these two. they maybe worth a look though

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@dan-t)
Illustrious Member

Checked both of them out at Musician's Friend, and they both have their own advantages. The Marshall is only 15 watts, and only has an 8" speaker, but, it does have digital effects like reverb, delay, chorus, and flanger.
The Fender is 25 watts, and has a 10" speaker, and reverb. Both have 2 channels. The Marshall is $20 more expensive. For the style of music you like to play, I'd lean towards the Fender. It has a little more "punch" for your money, and you can always pick up a couple of reasonable effects pedals if you decide you need them. I don't think you'll "out-grow" it like you might the Marshall, it'll sound a bit better with the larger speaker, and you wont get totally drowned out if you play with drums & other guitarists. Just my opinion. Good luck with whatever you decide, and have fun with your new Strat!

"The only way I know that guarantees no mistakes is not to play and that's simply not an option". David Hodge

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Yup, definitely the Fender of those two. I've heared good things of the Epi Joe mentioned, but the Kustom didn't impress me when I heared one.

Oh, why accept anything but the best ;)
Behringer GMX110

30W, analog modelling, 10" speaker, every connection you can dream of, two channels, digital effects, tuner. It really kicks ass in this price range!

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I've mentioned this elsewhere...

Fender 25R.  $150.  Get it.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@primeta)
Prominent Member

I'd go with the Fender and start putting money away for a Blues Jr tube amp. ;)  Besides Fenders are known for a good clean sound, Marshalls are typically regarded as better for heavier distortion.

Congrats on the guitar, I loved the Highway ones I played in the shop

"Things may get a whole lot worse/ Before suddenly falling apart"
Steely Dan
"Look at me coyote, don't let a little road dust put you off" Knopfler

ReplyQuote
(@rotten)
Eminent Member

Surfdoc
         Thats great. I just bought the Highway 1 also. but i think i might of overpaid(my first electric too). I bought the aqua green one w/maple neck. It is a sweet rigg. is yours Made usa?

Dirty rotten

"You gona bark all day little doggy? Or are you gona bite?"

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

All Highway 1's are American made.

I have heard from friends that the biggest difference between the Highway 1's and Americans is the finish. The Americans have more coats, and are more finely polished.

So maybe the Highway 1's will scratch or stain a little easier.

That's ok with me, I'd rather save the money.

Congrats to both of you on your new guitars.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rotten)
Eminent Member

Wes,
   Thanks for the info. i didnt know all highways where american made.  yea the highway has a stain finish, but most strats have like a laquer shell seal. The wood grain looks nice with the stain finish. I just hope it doesnt add too any corrosion/break down over the years.

Dirty rotten

"You gona bark all day little doggy? Or are you gona bite?"

ReplyQuote