Clear all

Master Volume

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

WHy do some people hate the master volume on Fender amps? I never really got that... I love mine. ANyone know?

"No pain No gain!"- The Scorpions

(@prndl)
Reputable Member

Master volume in a tube amp allows you to distort the pre-amp tubes instead of the output tubes and speaker.
Unfortunately, the master volume on most older fenders affected the tone and made the amp sound a lot worse.

Some people are very particular about their sound (tone).

There are differences in the tone and response you get from different types of distortion,
whether it's preamp tubes, output tubes and speakers, or digital or analog effects.
There's also a huge difference between what an amp sounds like in a small room, in a bar, and on a big stage.
This applies to all amps (new and old tube amps, solid state) - the pros rely upon knowledgeable techs.

We're now seeing renewed interest in small low-watt (boutique) tube amps that can be distorted easily in a small room.
This weekend I played an Atom Amps Metroliner, which sounded very cool.
http://monstereffects.net/products.html

1 watt of pure tube tone - the Living Room Amp!
http://www.naturdoctor.com/Chapters/Amps/LivingRoomAmp.html
Paper-in-oil caps rule!

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

So is there a way to distort the power valves on an amp with master vol?

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Sure. Turn it up. The master volume only changes one thing. It allows the "preamp" stages to be overdriven without also overdriving the output stage.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@terminator)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Oh, right! Still, i dont see why people hate them, my amp with master vol sounds amazing.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Oh, right! Still, i dont see why people hate them, my amp with master vol sounds amazing.

Well, maybe it's because 'amazing' is relative, and because you aren't overly familiar with what the other side prefers. As with all things concerning sound: if you like it, use it. If there is a sonic difference between having and not having a master volume then many people will prefer one over the other. You can't really 'degrade' sound, you can change it. The best thing you can do is listen to everything you can and just make up your own mind.

Apart from that, I hope noone is seriously *hating* a volume knob. That's... scary.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Perhaps the ones that don't like then is because they don't know how to effectivly utilize them. Yes there were a few Fender for example that had Master Volumes on them that really left alot to be desidered. Then on the other hand you have amps that would sound undesirable without them. It comes down to what you like and the sound you want to achieve.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It comes down to what you like and the sound you want to achieve. That sums it all up.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote