Clear all

mesa/boogie 4x12 ohm question

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

ok, so after looking at my 4x12's (mesa rectifier standards) today, i noticed that they are wired at 4 ohms. i thought mesas were usually wired at 8 ohms? i also have the hang tag for one of them, and it says 4 ohms on it as well.

when it comes to running both of them, can i run each one from a 4 ohm jack on the back of my DR or will that drop the load to 2 ohms and be too low? the manual shows the two 4 ohm jacks running into 8 ohm cabinets and saying that it is the correct match and not a safe mismatch. the manual also shows that i can use one of the 8 ohm jacks with an 8 ohm series box connected to two 4 ohm cabinets, but where would i get a series box like that? i did a google search and couldn't find one. how should i run both cabs?

is there any way to rewire the cab so that the total speaker load would be 8 ohms? i don't knwo the ohms of each speaker, but they are celestion vintage 30's.

thanks for all the help.

"Heavy decibels are playing on my guitar
We got vibrations comin' up from the floor
We're just listenin' to the rock
That's givin' too much noise....
Rock and roll ain't noise pollution"
~AC/DC

(@jtb226)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

if i can find a series box, i'd rather just do that. i can't find one though. i've googled everything i can think of and can't find what i'm looking for. my amp manual shows the amp running into an 8 ohm series box from the 8 ohm output, with 2x 4 ohm cabinets connected to the series box. anyone know where i can get what i'm looking for?

~AC/DC

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

jtb226

Interesting question. Those cabs most likely have four 16 ohm speakers in parallel for a total 4 ohm load. I can't think of a way to get a total 4 ohms load using four 8 ohm speakers.

Before I read your 2nd post I had thought of the series box. That seems like the very best way to go.

It seems like somebody would already make these, but I haven't found one yet. But here is a good article that explains how to do it yourself. There are a few on here who can probably tell you how to build one.

http://colomar.com/Shavano/spkr_wiring_sp.html

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jtb226)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

wes - thanks for the reply. i actually found one online for $15 at a place called bayou cables. i'll probably end up just buying that. thanks though.

oh and by the way, i'm pretty sure they are 16 ohm speakers.

~AC/DC

ReplyQuote