Mesa Boogie f-50

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

this is not the regular 'do you think i should buy' thread..
i was just wondering if any of you had any sound clips of the mesa boogie f-50 clean/crunch channels, with a rather transparent guitar.
i know every guitar sounds different through an amp, but i live in a small town with a lousily stocked dealer, and the only used one i can find is far away, so i want to know if it is worth the trip, or if i should dismiss it without trying. ive only heard praise about this amp, but people have different taste..

Never call a shovel "an ingenious hole-digging instrument"

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Now this might get me shot but I didn't like it at all. I love the rectifier sound and they have some awesome lower-gain things like the subway rocket. The F50 didn't sound anything close to the quality of other mesa amps I know. Ofcourse different amps and pedals can change it a lot but just didn't do it for me. Espescially the lead channel was grainy and seemed to lack warmth.

Just my opinion and many would disagree.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would say it depends on how much they want for it. You can get some great tone from it. But for around the same price you could pickup a used Mark Vl and really be happy.

Joe

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

the mark III/IV stuff costs double the F-50.
how about the rocket 44? in comparison to the f-50 of course.
i can find them used for like $1000, and it is cheaper than a new f-50 at about $2000-2300.

the used marks(dont kill me for generalizing them like this)
(when they come along, very rarely in other words) go for about $2800. and damn, thats a lot of money for an amp, even if it is a kickass one.
i wish i was loaded, but no luck..

pardon my english..
PLEASE pardon my english:)

ReplyQuote
 hh83
(@hh83)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

and now the f-50 is sold.. anyone got any feedback on the rocket?
worth a look?

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, their worth a listen. Sometimes I forget and offer advice on equipment and forget some may not have the means of getting the equipment. Sorry. There does come a time I feel (my opinion), that in order to achieve the tone one is searching for on their Quest, may need to come from a piece of equipment that is more expensive. Then its a matter of thinking up ways to get that piece of equipment.

I started out just like everyone else, only I wanted it more than most and did what ever I had to do to get the equipment I needed to sound the way I wanted to or do. Now I realize that it wasn't so much the equipment but me all along.

Joe

ReplyQuote