Mesa Boogie Meltdown.

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

G'Day,
Just wanted to see if anyone else has had a similar problem. Bass player has just invested a truckload into a Mesa Boogie Titan V12 head, 4 x10 & 1 x 15 cab. Has played less than a dozen gigs. Had it up to 3/4 power at last gig because sub wasn't working (amp's usually DI'd into the PA as well). during the last set the 1 x 15 has exploded into flames (I'm not kidding, the speaker actually burst into flames!), causing a premature end to everybodies night. All the gear was bought as a complete set-up brand new & everything was plugged in as per the manual. Power was supplied by a standard outlet with an additional safety box.

Our PA tech said that the amp has gone 'DC' & just driven the speaker forwards constantly. It should all be under warranty, I'm just curious if anyone can shed light on:
a) why didn't it blow a fuse or some other safety feature (which it's supposed to have) before blowing a $2000 speaker(& possibly a $5000 head)?
b) what could cause such a catastrophic conniption in the amp?
c) has anyone else had the same problem with a mesa? I have heard of one other going AWOL like this. We're under the impression they're the duck's nuts etc all ahnd built in the USA by vestile virgins etc....

Very dissapointed to say the least,
Cheers. :evil:

"Who says you can't 'dive bomb' a bigsby?!"

(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

I can't answer any of your questions, but he's going to have a tough time meeting audience expectations at his next gig. Everyone will be saying "Dude, last time he set it amp on fire!"

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, a while back on the HamTech list somebody posted a video where he was playing jazz on his B-3 and smoke started pouring out of the back. :lol:

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

yeah - he took it back to the store & impressed the bass guru there. I knew it was bad when I could see the 15" silouetted by green flickering light & then flames started pouring out the front :shock:
It was really surprising how none of the bar staff or bouncers react when you start yelling "FIRE, GET AN F'ING FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!"

I've seen fires in action & I knew the whole place was in danger, but it took awhile to get people motivated!! :lol:
Now we wait to hear back from the guru's at Mesa Boogie...

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

So just an update for the insomniacs amongst us.

Rang the place where it's going to be repaired, a wholesaler my old man & I have been using for years (when we can afford stuff :lol: ).

They're expecting it to arrive today & will down tools to have a look & get it back to us asap, as we've got some important gigs comming up (to us, anyway). They said that Mesa Boogie USA has already contacted them (as one of our dudes went straight to the source & woke up at 4am local time to call them in California) and are very interested in what went 'bang'. I dont think many Mesa's catch on fire these days :lol:

Everyone (including Mesa) have been really good about it so far, too. Hopefully the whole thing will be sorted soon & the old man can get back to rocking foundations instead of setting them alight!

Can't say enough about the good guys at 'Pro Audio' in Canberra, they've been the most helpful, professional guys I've ever dealt with. Buy something from them.
Same goes for our local GAS therapist Guitar Exchange, where we got the rig!
Now we just need it back in time for those gigs!!!!

Rock on!

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's certainly the first flaming Boogie I've heard of.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member

yeah - he took it back to the store & impressed the bass guru there. I knew it was bad when I could see the 15" silouetted by green flickering light & then flames started pouring out the front :shock:
It was really surprising how none of the bar staff or bouncers react when you start yelling "FIRE, GET AN F'ING FIRE EXTINGUISHER!!!"

I've seen fires in action & I knew the whole place was in danger, but it took awhile to get people motivated!! :lol:
Now we wait to hear back from the guru's at Mesa Boogie...

Here in the US, after the Great White fire thing, they probably would have been there by the time you could say "FI..."

Bass player for Undercover

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, what can I say, some of us Aussies don't move that quick.... :lol:
I'm actually surprised no one just poured a beer on it! :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Great story :D

Here is a video on YouTube of an amp catching fire (actually looks like a sub to me).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1amSjgyOCuc

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Noice.... back in the day it used to happen to the odd PA speaker. But not a brand new mesa!

ReplyQuote
(@rob77)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

G'Day again. Just for anyone that's interested Mesa are replacing the speaker cab that caught fire & the tech's at Pro Audio say the amp & 2nd cab are fine. Unable as yet to establish what happened.... At least is was the speaker that self-combusted & not the drummer ('Spinal Tap' joke....). Maybe what ever caused it was consumed in nthe fire?
But everything should be on it's way home - YAY!

ReplyQuote