Clear all

Mesa: Rectifier

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@gmilam)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I am looking to get the sound of Nickleback, Godsmack, Creed and others similar to that. I am thinking about getting a Mesa Boogie Rectifier Head. I realize other effects are needed to truely try and recreate those sounds, but from a distortion perspective, would this be the best way to go?

Does anyone know if there is a differrence in sound between the Dual and Triple Rectifier?

Also, I'd be curious to hear any opinions on different heads that might sound as good for that phat tight wall of sound.

Thanks,

G

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you think that I thought I once was - White Goodman (Dodgeball)

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

You should be able to generally get those tones with either. Or a good Marshall.

It is impossible to truly recreate someone else's tone. There are so many factors. The guitar, pickups, strings, guitar tone settings, effects (brand, model and individual settings), the amp (which has usually been modified from the stock amp), and amp settings (different on each song on recordings). Plus you even have to factor in the recording equipment, techniques, and settings used.

It will all come down to you going to the music store and trying out a few of these amps, hopefully with your own guitar. No one amp will do it all. Yeah, you're gonna get great heavy tone with a Mesa, but you will never get the fabulous clean tone of a Fender Twin. So you have to pick an amp that will best suit your needs.

Unless you have tons of money. Then you can buy them all! :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

A Tube rectifier circuit doesn't deliver the same instantaneous available power as a solid-state rectifier. With a tube rectifier there is a resistance which creates a DC voltage drop and creates a compression effect. Tube rectifier sag will basically soften the attack. For playing lead this compressed attack can be desired.

A solid state rectifier will respond faster and supply enough current needed by the power tubes. For playing rhythm you may need lots of head room this is were a solid-state rectifier will have a reserve of peak power available when needed. The amps that let you select the type of rectifier, there's more than just tone difference, you can hear and feel the difference.

joe

ReplyQuote