Notifications
Clear all

Metallica Sound

Page 1 / 2

cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have a link to a guitar rig site. I have one to guitargeek but I'm looking for the setup that Metallica uses..particularly James setup as I'm learning a couple Metallica songs and they aren't listed there.

I'm sure they include marshall amps which I don't have but I'd like to try getting close.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

(@disposable-hero)

Unfortunately sounding like James Hetfield doesn't come cheap. Here is a link to a page listing some of his equipment:
http://www.metallicaworld.co.uk/james_hetfields_equipment.htm

He also has another ESP signature guitar now, the 'Truckster'.

As you can see his guitars of choice are usually ESP's with emg active pickups, and amp wise its all about Mesa's.

However you should be able to get a reasonable 'metallica-ish' sound with most equipment so long as you are not striving to sound identical.

ReplyQuote
(@classic_rock_kid08)
Trusted Member

2 things

1.) Line6 Spider 3 - has a few metallica settings and the overdriven one sounds so perfect.
2.) To get those settings to sound correct, Alinco magnets in your pickups are recommended. (Epiphone LP Standard or higher)

I have both of these. (except I have an Epiphone LP Ultra)
Go try them out in a store together. btw the perfect OD setting is under 90's - Enter Mtlman

That's just if you're trying to nail it, of course. I'm sure you could dial in a close enough tone with the gear you have :D

Music is one of the most powerful forces on this planet, why not put it to use?
Brandon Pace
http://www.brandonmpace.com

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Getting close to the metallica sounds doesnt have to cost much at all. What matters is the sonical qualities of the sound, NOT the brand or type of what they used. Personally I think the Line6 Spider3 has a very poor basic sound that you can kinda hide with lots of gain and compression but still, check the samples on their site and judge for yourself. Metal should, IMHO, be loud and brutal, but sterile and lifeless. What gear do you have right now? I guess it's easier and cheapest to take what you have now and build on that, if possible.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I'm sure they include marshall amps which I don't have but I'd liek to try getting close.

Mesa, not Marshall. Mesa eats Marshall.

The "California" setting on the Behringer GDI-21 is a cheap way to get that sound. The Tech 21 product on which it's based is better.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

That's weird I replied to Ignars post and it went somewhere.

Oh well, yea slej I know he used Mesa's mostly but he did use Marshalls in his early days according to some stuff I found. He's supposedly using the Krankenstein amps now.

My gear is a Strat ( I have a Jackson which would be better for this style but it's Floyd Rose and I HATE tuning it) and a Fender Deluxe amp, a distortion, overdrive equalizer and Gov'nr pedal by Marshall.

I have never really spend much time working on my tone and hence it always doesn't sound right to me. I have jammed with Wes several times and he's a tone junkie so everytime he comes by he tweaks it so it sounds good and please don't even ask why I just don't right down those settings.

One of the main reasons though that I don't play around with my tone is I only get to play once a week at most with my equipment since it's 50 miles away from where I live. So most of the time when I practice it's just unplugged.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Okay, I think that should work good enough without buying more stuff. The only thing I'm worried about is the strat, it might sound a bit too thin. Anyway,for the rhythm parts it's important to give it balls without drowning out the vocalist/lead guitar . That means fairly *low* gain, thick compressed, scooped mids and loads of bass. I'd try the 2nd position on the strat first, else the 4th. If you put the gain too high it will get fuzzy and undefined, and by cutting the mids you'll get more oomph and less 'defined pitch', for lack of a proper term.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Ig,

Yea with the strat I'm not sure if I'll ever really get that close. don't know where I'd get the compression from though.

The only thing that has a compression setting is on my Johnson J-Station but I don't like that when I play through my amp. When i just play through that into headphones I like the tones but they never sound right going into an amp.

Anyway I'm going to get to try some stuff out tonight so I'll give it a go.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

In case you really need a compressor, just pick up the Behringer CS pedal. It cost me about $15 or so, should be availlable in the States as well. Also great for really bizarre sustain .I dont know if you play lead, but if you do sustain is great. It allows you to keep the gain relatively low so you don't run as much into string noise and such but you can still get a very ballsy sound with huge sustain.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

we don't know what I play but I do try and play lead depending on the group. When I practice I practice both lead and rhythm but when I play it usually ends up that there is someone way better than me like a Wes to play lead. I'm just happy to be able to play a couple chords.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Oh man I know that feeling. At one point or another I just decided something had to happen so I literally said:"I'm sorry, I know you're better but I got to start somewhere. Can I have a few solos every now and then?" The response was:"Sure, no problem at all!". I don't think it matters that your happy to just play chord, what matters is what you ultimately want to do most. I'm happy just lying in bed doing nothing at all but if possible I'd like to get a bit more out of life. ;) At times I've emberassed myself more then I care to remember but atleast I know that when I'm 60 years old I won't regret never having tried.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

don't get me wrong I have not relegated myself to being happy with playing chords it's just if there's a better person to play the lead then I don't have a problem with it. There are many songs where to me the main hook is the rhythm riff. But Wes or any of the other guys that I play with don't have a problem letting me solo,in Wes' case he usually encourages me and sometimes I'm the one that declines because I may feel a bit overwhelmed.

My improv skills really need work, something I've being meaning to do more of and hopefully this year I will do that and somehow start trying to train my ears a bit.

I've been spending my time working on cover songs ( I know that's like a swear word to you Ig) and haven't down much else over the past few months.

One song that I've been working for a month or so now and probably will for the next year is Redhouse by Jimi Hendrix. I'm trying to play all the lead note for note like it is on the record no improvising parts and there are some really fast runs and some odd syncopation jimi uses in that song. If I ever get that down it would be a major milestone.

But realistically as KingP put it, I'm a paint by numbers kind of guy and I'm OK with that. Most of what I play is going to be cover songs anway. But for those times when we are just jamming out I need to work on my improv skills.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

One song that I've been working for a month or so now and probably will for the next year is Redhouse by Jimi Hendrix. I'm trying to play all the lead note for note like it is on the record no improvising parts and there are some really fast runs and some odd syncopation jimi uses in that song. If I ever get that down it would be a major milestone.

Well, how did you think Jimi Hendrix learned to play guitar? He might be known for being the ultimate in freestyle electric playing but it's also well known that he spend years covering songs note for note next to his LP-player. I personally don't have playing covers as my endgoal (and what your goal is ain't none of my business!), but they are an extremely efficient way to learn skills and licks, and approach a certain theme from a different way. Apart from being able to play Red House for people learning that song will be a huge step towards learning to improvise. Improvisation is like having a conversation: gotta learn some words no matter how creative or cool you think you are, and covering is exactly that: learning words and sentences.

Not really related but I'm thinking of quotations: you know those people who can literally quote dozens of philosphers? I'm more impressed by someone who knows what those wise folks said and thought and then comes up with his own phrases.

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I understand what yor saying about your own phrases I know some words but I'm still stuck on making meaningfull conversations.

As for goals to me that goal is realistic at my age. If I were in my teens or 20's my goals would probably include more original stuff, but maybe not.

At my age my goals are just to be able to play a bunch of recognizable covers so I can jam with friends and maybe play out soemday, but that's turning out to be hardeer than I thought.

we all have opinions about the worth of covers but I do them for two main reasons, one is that they are songs I've always liked to listen to so why not take it that next step and actually learn how to play them and the other is that is gives me some quantifiable way of measuring my progress.

So when I learn a cover at the end of the day the goal is to sound EXACTLY like it was played on the record. No exceptions. This is not about putting my own spin on it or making it my own. I have a very anal view of how covers should be played. Now I'm not saying if I heard a cover band in a bar I'd know if they were playing a song note for note but I can tell if they've morphed it into something different and usually I don't like it.

My view is that if I can get to the point of being able to play Redhouse or anything else by a bunch of different artists note for note as they are on the recordings then I'll be as good as I need to be. Not sure that will ever happen but that's the goal.

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've got a Fender Blues Deluxe with a Boss OS2 overdrive/distortion pedal. When I plug my ESP into it with it tuned down 3 half-steps, I can get a dark and gruesome crunch sound.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2