Clear all

Microphone and Guitar to one amp

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
10.8 K Views
(@fastrover)
Topic starter  

Firstly let me say hello to all on the forum.

Right then here we go.
I have a daughter that plays the guitar and sings. Just recently she has played some songs at a wedding (no amp or mic) and last weekend at a local festival (sound system already in place as partly in a theater).
She really wants to try her hand at more public appearances, nothing to big to start just some half hour to 45 mins slots for friends family etc.
She has a Marshall G15Rcd amplifier with the following on the front.
1. Input
2. Headphones
3. Line Out
4. CD Input
Then the usual gain treble etc dials.
My question is this and please bear in mind this is all new to me. Can she put both her guitar and a microphone though this amp together at once and how whats the best way to go about it. I know the guitar usually plugs into the input and what the headphone socket is for etc.
I'm afraid budgets are tight so replacing with £200 - £300 worth of pa system or new amp are out of the question so is there a way to use the amp she has.
Many Thanks in advance to all repliers

(@alangreen)

Your main problem is going to be balancing the sound. Plugging the guitar into the input socket is one thing but if you try and put a mic through the CD input you have no independent volume control over the mic signal. Likewise if you use a two-into-one type of input plug.

I'd suggest something like an old Tascam Portastudio - get one with an input for the mic and a dedicated one for the guitar, and then mix the two signals before you output to the amp. You should be able to pick up an old cassette tape-based unit for sensible money - try E-bay or Gumtree or shop windows/ boot sales in your area and so on - and they make great mixers.

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@fastrover)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the quick reply. Now this is interesting as for her 16th birthday i managed to get hold of a Tascam digital eight track recorder from a close friend of my wifes for £70. I've done a couple of recordings on it to try it out but am i now right in thinking that we can use this to solve our problem. This would be great news. I've had it plugged into my home stereo for play back reasons via the phono lead will it just be a case of getting a lead to go from phono to jack plug?

ReplyQuote