Clear all

More PodXT Live/ME-50/GT-6 Questions

8 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I have recently returned to the hobby after years of not playing. My previous experience is light, consisting of dabbling and learning a few 'cool' songs. Aside from the guitar dabbling, I do have 15 years of classical violin under my belt (though I haven't played that instrument in years).

I enjoy a variety of music from the 50s-80s. This includes acts such as Elvis, The Ventures (!!), Led Zeppelin, Metallica, The Scorpions, Judas Priest, etc. I also enjoy some country (old and new), but nothing specific. The music I enjoy is the music I'd like to play (eclectic, I know). I would also like the ability to record to a computer, and the option of using headphones. Amp modeling doesn't really interest me, though if available I would explore it.

My current setup includes a Seymour-Duncan 84-50 (all-tube) amp. It has two channels (clean, dirty) with preamp and power amp volumes, 3-band EQ, reverb, and an effects loop. My guitar is a Godin Freeway Classic. I enjoy the range of sounds I can get from this setup, but am looking to add some effects to the rig.

In reading about the various multi-effects units, I'm leaning towards them. The problem I have is I cannot decide which unit would be appropriate from the reviews. My inexperience makes me wary about testing units for myself (I doubt I'd know the difference between the sounds produced). The driving distance is another factor. The local shop doesn't stock any of the items (though they have a used PodXT Live). Otherwise, it's some 30 miles or more to the next store.

To start, I would like something that will plug into the efx loop of the amp, preserve the tonal qualities of the amp, but add effects (flange, compression, distortion, etc.).

So, I'd like some advice on which unit I should purchase... The choices are a PodXT Live, Boss ME-50, Boss GT-6, or some other comperable unit.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I have about $300-$350 to spend. So, it's either an attenuator and boss me-50, /or/ it's a PodXT Live...

A sucking chest wound is Nature's way of telling you to slow down.

Godin Freeway Classic, PodXT Live, Seymour-Duncan 84-50.
(All this so I could learn 'Twinkle, Twinkle, Little' Star for my youngest.)

(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Don't get the ME50 or GT6. It's switching-delay and tone sucking are pre-historic. The POD is mostly a modeler with effects, not really what you're after. Same goes with the Vox Tonelab. To be vary honest I don't really know many floorboard multi-effects in that priceclass that don't suck tone. Some things you could check out:

TC Electronics G-major, although some of it's effects are pretty ancient (delay time). But for the rest a pretty good unit for around $350-$400.

Behringer DSP2024P, great and inexpensive unit. Seems to suck tone when you add too many effects at once, but in that case just get another one, or two. Priced at $100 it's really a bargain..

Maybe the Zoom FX/Korg AX series, although they too suck some minor tone.

You could also check out the POD XT/Tonelab/GT8 and see if you maybe like they tone simply better then your amp and get all your sound out of one of these. Note that if you want to record easily then a modeler is *really* the way to go. All of those can just be plugged directly into the mixer/pc whereas you'd need to mic your tube amp. And getting the same sound in your mic as in your ears is darn hard and expensive.

In other words: I don't believe there is a $350 multi-effect which preserves your tone 100% and allows easy direct recording. Getting a proper setup to record your amp without loss of tone would already be $350 in a few proper mics and mic pre-amps. Using headphones doesn't work if you don't use modeling either, and getting your tube sound in your headphone won't ever work without an isolation box, proper mics and another room to sit in with the headphones. Not really a $350 option.

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I see your point on not preserving 100% of the tone. Still, would something like the PodXT Live work well enough as effects-only, perserving most of the tone when playing through the amp. Then I could use the modeling when I want to record to comp?

I certainly recognize that I cannot get a lot for $300 (bummer). Just wondering what the best bang for my buck might be, garnering as much as possible...

I will have a rack moung unit (free), but was looking for something foot-switchable...

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

If you're not the ultimate in tone snobbism I think either the GT8 or Pod XT would work well. The audience will definitely never notice the small amount of tone sucking and with some EQ'ing you should be able to get close enough that you really can't tell whether it's in the loop and disabled or not in the loop. Tonelab is rather limited with effects, but the GT8 and POD have the basics more then covered. I myself am rather impressed with the GT8, it's really an awesome multi-effect with modeling abilities whereas the POD is a modeler with multi-effect options.

In any case, it's a matter of taste. Maybe you have amazingly good ears and notice every subtle difference. Maybe you have average ears and notice nothing at all. There is a technical loss of tone and how much of an issue that is depends on you. I'd use it without second thought but you really might want to try it in another store. Might be a bit of a hassle but it might save you from wasting good money. As for being too inexperienced to try it: nonsense. Take your time and just listen. If you notice anything bad drop it, if you don't get it. Play it yourself, picking dynamics and such are hard to get a feel for when listening to the sales guy. Once you've made up your mind let someone else play so you can focuss 100% on the sound instead of what you're playing. You're the one that's going to play it so it doesn't really matter what other people think of it.

In short: I'd get the GT8. If that's not an option I'd get the POD XT Live. Both are great devices that will satisfy 99% of the guitarists. I'd even go as far as to say the GT8 sucks less tone then a chain of individual pedals, so it's not like we're talking about those ancient pre-historic digital devices that got the digital-revolution such a bad name.

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I will call around and see what stores have what effects. As I mentioned, I can try the PodXT Live (it's < 2mins away). As to the rest, I could (quite literally) spend more $$ in gasoline than in just buying something. ;) Dumb question: should I haul my guitar and amp to the store to try the effects unit?

Looks like the GT-8 street price is just a bit above what I could afford. What is your opinion on the GT-6. If you had to rate the three (PodXT Live, ME-50, GT-6) in order of preferenec, what would the order be?

Btw, thanks much for your input.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

ME50 is the little brother of the GT6, and both have some amazing drawbacks Boss should be ashamed for. The POd XT is miles above those two. And definitely drag everything you use along: amps, guitar, picks, cables, whatever you feel has an impact on the sound. So if you cannot easily afford the GT8 (wish I could myself) and the POD is around the corner then just try that one. It's better then the GT6/ME50 so buy that one if you like.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Well, personally, I love my ME-50. I got mine on b-stock. It was fine. It sounds great and works great. Maybe what I do with it is different than what others may do with it. If you try to put all the effects on at 10, then it sucks. But, really that is not what it is meant for. A little of this and that and I find I love my tone with it and have no problems using it. Opinions vary, and some people are a##holes, or something like that.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@sarton)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I tried the PodXT Live that was available locally. It seemed cool, so I bought it. Many thanks for the responses (esp. Arjen), which helped me decide.

ReplyQuote