Notifications
Clear all

MXR phase 90 and guitar eq boxes. what are they

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@paulwa)
Topic starter  

Hello its Paul from wa state. IM intersted in getting mxr effects. Are they good effects. I like eddie van halens sound. What does a phase 90 do to the signal. Does it produce good harmonic distortion. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks. Paul. Also is a guitar box eq good for eliminating noise. What else are they good for too. Do they work like a compressor where they isolate frequencies wanted and eliminate others.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

a phase 90 is neither a linear nor non-linear amplitude effect, such as gain, overdrive, (harmonic) distortion. it is a time domain effect that splits the input signal and dynamically (changing in time) shifts the phase (= very short time delay) of only one of the signals and then recombines it with the other, unaltered signal. the dynamic shifting part means the phase shift controlled by a triggering waveform generated internal to the effect (sine and/or triangle are typical) that drives the phase (short delay) shift in both + and- directions in response to the trigger or "modulating" waveform. the net effect is an ever-changing cancellation and reinforcement of the strength of the signal at different frequencies -- and the exact frequencies and the amounts of cancellations (and reinforcement) is related to current value of the delay between the dry (unaltered) and wet (delayed) signals. In short, the effect makes the signal sound "swishy" or "slushy."

for distortion/overdrive in an effect box, you are looking for something more like the Pro-co Ratt, Vox Satchurator, Ibanez Tube Screamer, Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive ...

an EQ is not generally used to eliminate noise, though a really good parametric EQ (not your typical stompbox graphic EQ) might be able to do some selective removal of noisy bands. an EQ is usually used to fine tune the tone or timbre of the guitar -- for ex., maybe boost the highs or bass or cut ("scoop") the midrange.

Noise elimination is better done with one or more of a Noise Gate, shielding of the guitar (not an effect) or companding. the last also can make noise worse if misused.

MXR makes quality effects. however, the most popular MXR effects are relatively simple and "vintage" style. among these are the Phase 90, DynaComp, 10-band EQ and Carbon Copy Analog Delay. If you are new to guitar and effects, you might find you will get a lot more bang-for-your-buck by going with a multi-effect pedal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'll agree with gnease and multi-effect pedals. They give you a whole raft of effects for relatively little money (you can start well below $100). They are not the best quality effects, but they will give you the opportunity to try a lot of different combinations and decide what effects you really want/need. They are the ones that you should, then, buy as separate pedals.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote