Clear all

Not Enough Channels HEEEELLLLLPPPPP

11 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I own a 12 channel board 8 mono and 2 stereo.... To me it is a waste of channels to put channels 9/10 and 11/12 like that I want 12 channels not 10. Now I am one channel short when i run sound so i have to borrow a friends board to have that one channel. This is basically a complaint really. But is there anything u can double up on a channel say i want to plug two things into one channel say like a keyboard into 9 and keyboard 2 into 10?? any suggestions

No matter where you go.... There You are! Law of Location

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

The only problem I see with your idea is that that channel's EQ and volume would affect both keyboards the same. Also, if you use stereo mode you would get one keyboard coming out of the left speaker exclusively and the other out the right side. In mono there shouldn't be a problem. I don't believe PA's should be run in stereo anyway as a person on the side of a room only hears half the mix.

Why don't you get a little 4 or 6 channel mixer just for the drums? Then you would only take up one channel on your board. I only say drums because they usually use up lots of channels. You could use this little mixer for anything you choose.

Behringer has some very nice little mixers like this for under $100. Other companies as well.

Or.... you could just buy a board with more channels.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

How about posting the brand and model. So we can see the ins and outs it has. Does it have a sum or aux in. how about Effects or Aux loops. My sub mixer has a Sum loop (send/return), Effects loop (send/return), and a Aux loop (send/return), if your using the effects loop for outboard effects units, you could just use the Aux return to come into the board.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yamaha EMX5000 12 channel

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Cool, can you give us a channel list and what you want to do? 12 channels can be plenty, unless you're micing all the drums, or you're Tower of Power.

Tell us more so we can kibbitz.

-Laz

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I would have the drums on another mixer and from that Sub-mixer come in on the sub jacks. That allows you 8 channels for Mic's, 2 stereo channels for stereo conections, and the 2 sub channels from sub-mixers.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Tower of Power Rocks to start with...........I've got all but 2 of their cds and i only use them to do sound checks when i setup my rig. Awesome Group

Lets see what I have 4 vocals, 1 bass, 1 lead, 1 rythm, 1 piano, 1 kick, 2, overheads thats 11 inputs, and i only technically have 10

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You should think about picking up a small non powered mixer for the drums and come in on the sub-ins. Most drum Mic kits use 5 Mic's, pickup a rack mounted mixer with more than enough channels. Generally their pretty inexpensive. You'll have more control over the drum mix and free up those channels, Add a compressor and eq to the sub-mixer and the drums will rock.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@leear)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

well i don't have the funds or time to go purchase a submixer and wait for it to arrive. As of this post 10:20pm in south MIssissippi i have 4 days to figure out a fix.

I figured run keyboards together since one would be coming out right and one left, i could mix a volume and adjust their individual volume as needed

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Your original list doesn't show 2 keyboards...

Is it possible to run any of the guitars just off their amps? Or is this a big outdoor gig?

Is the bass feed from a DI or line out? You could put that into one of the stereo channels, assuming you don't have significant EQ issues.

In the worst case you could drop back to just one overhead above the drums...

Good luck!

Laz

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

Assuming that some of those Vocals are background, more than one person can sing into the mic, assuming it's one that would suit the purpose.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote