Notifications
Clear all

Now here is some stuff I just need and answer on, So PLEASE;

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@reptilia)
Topic starter  

Hello everybody, I'am A really good guitar player, I finished school for music, I play in a kick ass band and I played for 8 years. Now I have been on alot of amps in my time, However, All my life I have had a money problem, I found out I need a new amp, And my bandmates agree.
So i figured out. I'am gonna buy a Fender Hot Rod Delux. We play ALOT of Guns N' Roses... I was standing on the stage, With my full band, We played november rain. We had a basse player, a second guitar, me on lead guitar, piano, keyboard, drums, EVERYTHING instrument in november rain song we had. Now we had made somthing cool, Instead of me standing on the piano playing the last part of november rain (Don't you think that you need somebody, everybody need somebody.ect.ect)
We had a few guys carrying in a coffin. Made of wood, Now the people carried this too the stage, I got on it and played there ears out, AND THIS WAS SO GOOD, We got alot of GOOD compliments on this. BUT the problem. The part with the C5 power chord, right before the last solo I couldent get that "tube" sound slash gets, I got a les paul, but my marhsall amp aint tube, it's a shity marshall amp, If I buy a tube amp (Like hot rod) Will I get that tuby Slash sound. (I cant afford the slash amp so dont bother saying "BUY THAT ASAP". If I can get the tube sound we will do this again on stage, because people complained about, "Hey where's that sound- That hollow and tuby sound"?! Hope you can help me with this. And I hope everybody understand the sound Iam trying too explain. Thanks for reading this.

(@eclips3)
Eminent Member

I can only think of one thing that'll work for sure... Go to your music shop, bring your guitar and effects (not sure what you've got) and ask them to help you find that sound, plug into everything and anything you can think of could produce that sound... Then when you've found it, you can start looking around for second hand stuff if budget is limited

Hope this helps

ReplyQuote
(@hueseph)
Noble Member

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would not purchase an amp just to get one particular sound on one song.

Any decent tube amp will get you warm tube tone.

There is a lot of talk about tube versus solid state amps on here. They are both good. Each has it's own advantages. A tube amps greatest feature is tube saturation. When you really crank a tube amp up, it is about the best sound imaginable. But even then it is not a Metal distortion. It is more a Blues overdrive. To get the sound you are after you are going to need a good distortion pedal or effects unit. Now, a good pedal into a tube amp at saturation is enormous. But, here is the Catch 22.... when you crank a tube amp to saturation, it is going to be LOUD! Really loud. You can't do this at home. You can't even do it at gigs many times. But if you are in a large club with lots of people, oh, then you can! And it will blow them away.

Today's solid state amps are excellent and getting better everyday. They are less expensive and much lighter. That may not be an issue for you now, but when you start gigging a lot, it is a BIG issue. Also, many SS amps come with many great built in effects. So you get a lot of bang for the buck. Also, another big advantage of solid-state amps is you can get maximum distortion at even very low volume. So you can get that cranked sound at home or very small clubs.

If I were you I'd look into a good solid-state amp, 65-100 Watts. Find one with effects. You will probably find the sound you are after plus many more.

I am not familiar with that particular song. Slash may have used an effect there. You have to remember that these guys record in fancy studios with million dollar equipment, plus all the tricks in the book. It is even possible that Slash himself could not get that same sound live. You need to do a search and see if you can find out how Slash got that sound. Then maybe if you have $20,000 you can imitate it.

No one amp will get you all sounds.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll need to amps one with the equalizer set for Rhythm channel and another amp with the equalizer set for lead channel. Then using a combination switch you can change between the two amps and also run both amps at the same time. Being a an attenuator fan which allows you to run the amps harder at lower volume gives better control of the sound and tone.

Using a rack mounted stereo all tube power amp you have channel A sound a certain way with the equalizer set for rhythm and Channel B with the equalizer set for playing lead. Using a combination switch or Midi switcher you can change to either amp or run both in real time.

Just my thoughts//works for me.

Joe

ReplyQuote