Clear all

One Step Above Practice Amp

12 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have been getting by with a Behringer GM108 15 watt practice amp, but I'd like to make a small jump in amp quality/sound. I'm not likely to ever use it live; except maybe a small gathering of friends. What should a person look for? Any good suggestions?

(@drewsdad)
Estimable Member

You could get an epiphone valve junior or the epiphone valve amp head and hook it up to the 108's speaker. Either one would give you real tube tone on the cheap. :D

Life's journey can be hard at times, but you have to realize that you are the only one with the power make it a worthwhile experience.

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

If you want some modeling: VOX AD30VT, Roland Cube 30, both around $200-250. These are plenty loud to play a small hall, let alone your living room. AD60VT if you have a little bit more cash to spend, because they have supposedly better modeling and speakers.

If you go to $400 or so, I guess there's a bunch of small tube amps you can get. Peavy, Fender Blues Jr etc.

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Is connecting the Epiphone Valve Tube Amp Head to my speaker on my Behringer a difficult thing to do. I don't have much experience with amps.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

If the Behringer's got a plug on the speaker that plugs into the back of the amp chassis, it's no problem at all. You'd just need an adapter to connect two 1/4" plugs together. If not, you'll have to learn how to put a jack on it or get someone to do it for you. Might be more practical to pay another $20 and get the Valve Junior Combo. It's got a very nice 8" speaker in it. Its only fault is that it hums more than some amps, but it's not that big a problem, really.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@lucam)
Eminent Member

I did the same a couple of weeks ago, now I am very happy with my Epiphone Firefly 30 DSP. Give it a try!

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I have been getting by with a Behringer GM108 15 watt practice amp, but I'd like to make a small jump in amp quality/sound. I'm not likely to ever use it live; except maybe a small gathering of friends. What should a person look for? Any good suggestions?
Sorry, not a suggestion, but a question;
What do you think of that Berringer as a practice amp?
I've been looking at getting one (they seem versitile, and for under $100, a reasonable deal).

I'd like to hear the opinion of someone who owns one, though, before I open my wallet.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

If you are looking for versatility, I'd have to say go for the Vox AD30VT.

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@canucks12)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

What do you think of that Berringer as a practice amp?

Well I don't have a problem with the Behringer amp at all. For the money it's great. Clean settings are a little iffy maybe, but again for the money not a problem. I just feel that I'm at a point where as I get better I want my equipment to get better/different. My skill level/ear/knowledge at the time I bought the Behringer was limited so it wasn't a big gamble to go with the practice size amp. Better to make a small mistake I felt.

I'm leaning toward giving the Epiphone Valve Tube Head a try.

ReplyQuote
(@flashback)
Reputable Member

i would check into the Tech21 line of amps. The trademark series is affordable and very tube like.

GN's resident learning sponge, show me a little and I will soak it up.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

There's plenty of amps to take for a test drive before you make a decision. Each one will have their own tone. what may work for one person amy not be the sound your looking for thats why I'm not going to recommend any particular amp. I will recommend that you besides investing in an all tube amp you should save some extra to include an equalizer and attenuator. With this combination the only thing is left to your imagination.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@jocko)
Trusted Member

I have just upgraded from a 12 watt Peavey Rage to a Vox AD30VT. Great thing about the AD30VT is a power output control on the back which allows you to drive it hard but reduce the output to a wife/neighbour friendly level. The built in effects are very useful as well. The Vox site has sound samples.

45 years playing and still rubbish.

ReplyQuote