Clear all

Opinion on amp setup for playing live

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

My son and I have cleaned out the garage and have setup our studio/man cave to start seriously rehearsing our classic rock songs along with a midi rhythm section. Currently I have my Epiphone Valve Special sitting a top my Fender 4 X 12 cabinet but was thinking why am I not using my Peavey Classic 30 that I just paid big bucks for last year. If and when we do gig, it certainly would be easier to transport. I got a brain storm today. What if I take my Epiphone Valve Junior cabinet with the single 12" eminance Lady Luck speaker and connect to the Classic 30's extension speaker jack. It is a 16 ohm speaker rated at 70 watts and coincidentially the Classic 30's extension speaker jack requires a minimum of 16 ohms resistance to make the amps total load 8 ohms. I could place the cabinet on the opposite side of the stage as the amp and really disperse my sound. There would be a single 12" speaker both stage left and stage right. The places to play around here are small, bars and such, so that is a consideration as well. What do you guys with gigging experience think of my idea. I'm certainly going to try it out and see how I think it sounds, but was interested in peoples opinion.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@diceman)
Reputable Member

If you have a limited PA system that sounds like one possible solution to disperse your sound . If there is a PA available anyways , a microphone in front of your single amp cabinet is easier to carry in and out .

If I claim to be a wise man , it surely means that I don't know .

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Well, I guess thats my point. Our PA has 2 speakers for FOH with a 15" and a horn. If the drums are midi .. they need to be in these speakers. Thats why I'm shying away from micing the instruments.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I'm using an 2 X 12 extension cab with my Hot Rod Deluxe right now. I simply place it under the amp. But I don't see any problems whatsoever with sitting the extension cab across stage. Hey, if it sounds good, go for it. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Wes ..... as a matter of fact, it does sound good. :) It seems I don't need to play as loud to fill up the garage, so it works for rehersal. We are no where near ready to play out yet, so we will have to wait to see if it works in a real application. I have my amp on an amp stand and the extension speaker on a little folding work bench so they are elevated off the floor.

ReplyQuote