Clear all

Paging Wes Inman...re: Avatar cabs

8 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey Wes (and/or all others familiar with Avatar amp cabs)!

I am in dire need (need...??? :lol: ) of a great-sounding 2x12 cab and am very tempted by Avatars' options/prices. I'm thinking of a Hellatone 60 (broken-in Celestion Vintage 30) and a Hellatone 30 (broken-in Celestion G12H30) for my speakers. I've never purchased anything gear-wise that's non-returnable...and, needless to say, I've never played through the cab. I know I love Vintage 30s (I'm currently in possession of a Blackstar 2x12 w/ 2 Vintage 30s, but am planning to sell it today...nothing wrong with it...just an odd color for my gear, and I have an eager buyer). I've never combined different types of speakers and am unsure of the G12H30, though I don't think I could go too far wrong with that combination. :?:

OTOH, GC is having a 15% sale today thru Sunday and I just spotted a PRS 2x12 cab w/ Vintage 30s that's real purty. :wink: And it's obviously returnable if necessary. It's also about $200+ more than an Avatar would be.

Any and all feedback/advice/suggestions re: Avatar speaker cabs (and the PRS idea) would be greatly appreciated! Btw, this will be my final purchase until I win the lottery...or my hubby divorces me and I marry for $$$. (Never.) Please help. :?

Thanks much,
Cindy

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Cindy

All I can say it that I am very pleased with my Avatar cab. I have a 2 X 12 with Celestion Vintage 30s closed-back. The cab is very well built and attractice, but quite lightweight for a cab this size. It probably weighs around 35-40 lbs., not exactly sure.

When I bought my cab they did not offer the Vintage 30/G12H30. It is their most popular selling 2 X 12, so it must be a good sounding cab.

You might search YouTube for some clips of different cabs, I found this one.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iuRkWoI0xQ0

Here's a nice video of a fellow with Eminence Wizards in his Avatar cab.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKBCr3fk-qM

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks much, Wes! I did sell my Blackstar cab today so I'll be calling Dave soon to order another. With the holiday weekend, I figure he won't be doing much until Tuesday. I'll take a look at the YouTube links asap. I greatly appreciate your quick reply, feedback and YouTube searching!

Have a great holiday!

Take care,
Cindy :D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, I bit the bullet and ordered an Avatar Premier Traditional 2x12 cab the other day and should have it sometime next week. :D

I decided on blonde tolex, black grill, white piping (trying to match my Egnater Rebel 20 without ruining it for my other amp heads), and went with 1 Hellatone 30 and 1 Hellatone 60. If anyone is interested in my impressions of it after I get it and spend some time with it, drop me a line!

:) :) :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Many congrats on that new toy!

Enjoy! :D

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Nuno! :D

I hope all's well with you!

Take care,
Cindy :)

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I'm intrigued that you have 2 different drivers in the cab. Do they compliment each other, or conflict? Let us know how it sounds.

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Will do, Laz! :D

I received my cab on Tuesday (June 9) and so far...I'm extremely impressed with the workmanship and the sound. Everything is as ordered and the appearance/materials are as expected. I haven't had enough time yet to comment on it fully, but so far I love it. I've tried it only with my Egnater Rebel 20 (not my fave amp, but good) and I also hooked it up to my Blackstar Artisan 15 combo (contains a Greenback), which I really love and will probably keep if GC holds up their end of the bargain (long, boring GC story). The Blackstar sounds great on its own, but excellent also with my new cab! :D

So far, I find that the speakers (a broken-in Vintage 30 and a broken-in G12H) are definitely complimenting each other. I love the V30s but sometimes find them a bit too harsh with certain amps (e.g., the Blackstar Artisan 15 head, whose cab holds 2 V30s), and the G12H takes care of that but doesn't take the beauty away from the V30. I'd say that no matter your taste in tone, the 2 different speakers *definitely* don't conflict. The combination I picked is supposedly the most popular one at Avatar, so I didn't take too much of a risk! The only "name" cab I know of that mixes 2 different speakers is the Bogner Alchemist (a G12M Greenback and a G12H). The cost: $699.99 + tax and whatever. My cost for the Avatar built to my specifications: $438 (incl. tax, shipping, etc.). The Avatar is non-returnable (barring defects of course) so it's a gamble for someone like me, but it seems to have paid off in this case!

I'll be doing more "research" this weekend with the same and different amps, so I'll report back on those, too. Overall I am very happy with my new purchase and would like to thank Wes for mentioning Avatar so often around here!!! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote