Clear all

Peavey Classic 30

12 Posts
8 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Any opinions on this one? I just bought one today ... well, technally yesterday now. :oops: I was shopping for a new guitar but nothing impressed me except the amp I was playing through. A couple years ago when I saw Ted Nugent at the state fair he was playing through a mic'd up Classic 50 (Same preamp). I figure if it's good enough for Ted it's surely good enough for TR. :lol:

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

I had a Classic 20, and I've played the bigger C30 as well. I think they're great; especially for blues and lighter rock. Pretty sure Nugent used a Peavey 6505 (aka '5150') for his heavier sounds.

Does the "boost" switch on the C30 bypass the tone stack the way it did on the C20? I thought that was kinda useless unless you want that specific tone, but otherwise the C20 was killer, especially when I hooked it up to a 1x12 cab - then it sounded big and full - like a C30! ;)

Peavey tends to get overlooked by a lot of people, but their tube amps are really good.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh, Ted had a wall of 5150's ...... but they weren't turned on. They were scenery. I saw him at a small outdoor venue so I believe that is why the smaller amp. The boost switch seems to be more of a mid/treble boost. I don't care for it as much, but it sure makes it louder and the tone does sound more like my EVJ so I could see where it sounds like it is bypassing the tone stack. It is however boosting the volume considerably.

ReplyQuote
(@bob-squires)
Estimable Member

I bought a Classic 30 two years ago - perfect for at home and small gigs - great tone 8) This little amp can really put out :!:

Only problem I had was the power switch went out one month after I bought the amp :cry: - service was quick :) - I caulked it up to infant mortality - haven't had a problem since.

B.S. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I like those. I like their Delta Blues 1x15, too.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@nomadh)

I got the classic 50 4x10"
Priced new I'd get the fender hotrod but used the peaveys are a steal.

ReplyQuote
(@robbie)
Honorable Member

I saw one in the local mucic emporium a few months ago, used, half price. Told a friend about it and next day it was HIS. I regret telling him about it and never mention "nice girls" names to him anymore. The amp really sounds sweet to me, maybe I am even more envious due to the coveting someone else's A$$ commandment. Enjoy, it is a great sounding amp.
Robbie

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Hmm, it does say something like "Thou shalt not covet thy neighbor's axe, nor his amp, nor any gear that is thy neighbor's," doesn't it?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@guitbusy)
Trusted Member

I have one and I love it. You can get pretty good classic rock and blues out of it. Even a little metal if you set it just right. $300 used in perfect shape, you can't beat it.

Older Newbie

ReplyQuote
(@nomadh)

I have one and I love it. You can get pretty good classic rock and blues out of it. Even a little metal if you set it just right. $300 used in perfect shape, you can't beat it.

Well I beat it a little bit. My 50 watt 4x10 was $250, perfect shape from a rental co. Was selling it because everyone wanted to rent hot rod deluxes. Was for advertised for weeks between $450 and $300 and nobody bit. He also had a more beat up one with broken reverb for $200 with groove tubes. It had a better snarl in the lead channel. If you buy one new you better love it forever because the resell value on these things are lousy. So far its the only thing that isn't great about the amp.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I don't think resale is that great on anything musical, unless you keep it untill it gets real old. And then it better be a classic or it is worth nothing. :( I plan to keep it anyhow. I tried the HRD but liked the sound of the Peavey better for the classic rock I play.

ReplyQuote
 Jip
(@jip)
Trusted Member

Metal eh? Please describe the overdrive channel a bit more. I am looking for an amp that will do SRV AND George Lynch.

ReplyQuote