Clear all

Peavey power amp toasted

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Not sure if this goes here or in the fixit thread, but my Peavey power amp died the other day. I hooked up the mic, did a quick check check and a thumping noise started, I smelled something burning and the breaker for chanel A threw. Checked all my connections, chanel A breaker blows if I try to turn the amp on. At first I was bummed, I haen't used it alot and thought, it's practically new. Well, then I did the math. I have owned this power amp since before I moved into my house ........... 13 years ago. It is 14 - 15 years old. I can replace it with a comperable but lesser name brand for say $180. Is it worth looking into fixing it, or just get a new one and move on? No big hurry by the way, it's not like I'm gigging and have a PA to practice through. Any thoughts or comments are appreciated.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Hmmm. I don't think I've ever seen a Peavey amp die.
Certainly not from general wear-n-tear.

Usually it takes advanced levels of physical abuse to kill one, and then only with repeated applications.

What model amp was it? (I'm betting it's not a CS-800!)

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Not sure if this goes here or in the fixit thread, but my Peavey power amp died the other day. I hooked up the mic, did a quick check check and a thumping noise started, I smelled something burning and the breaker for chanel A threw.

That's something I've never accomplished, and the ol' Peavey powered mixer I've used for decades (31 years and still tickin'!) is still going strong. You musta got a bad one. I'd call Hartley and complain!

seriously tho . . . . thumping? does it have a fan?

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Oh yeah ... this unit did survive (or at least I thought) last summers lightning strike that took out 2 guitar amps, a stereo, a dryer, a direct TV box and a computer surge protector. It does have a fan, I'm at work so cant remember the model. It is a good one. Stereo, about 250W per side, fan cooled, clipping / circuit protection, breakers, has every speaker hookup known to man. I am suspicious of it being weakened by that lightning strike. Too late to claim it now though. Oh, and for the "thumping" noise, that was coming from the chanel A speaker. It was electronic, not mechanical. Yeah, every other Peavey piece of equipment I have owned is rock solid. Yep, betting on the lightning. Didn't kill it but did mame it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote