Clear all

Peavey Problem

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Last Saturday I bought a Peavey Studio Pro 112 amplifies. I liked the sound when I heard it in the shop and there isn't a lot of choice here in Manila.

All was well for the first hour or so of playing at home and then I started to hear what sounded like intereference. I have a Steinberg guitar and a Jay Turser tele copy. When I use the Jay Turser and touch the pickup near the neck I hear crackling sound from the amplifier.

At first I thought the noise was a loose cable, but I changed the cable.

When I plug the same guitar into my Yamaha practice amp there is no noise at all.

I get the crackling sound from both guitars, though it is worse from the Jay Turser (does not happen on the bridge pickup..)

I took it back to the shop and of course it did not make a noise on the Ibanez guitar they had in the shop.

They have agreed to exchange the amplifier and asked me to take in my guitar when it arrives (they have to order it).

Any thoughts on what might be causing this so I will be more knowledgeable when I go back later this wee?

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

jimscafe

Here's a page I found that has many articles on eliminating pickup hum and crackle. Look down at the bottom of the page.

Guitar Tech Tips

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thank you for your information - most useful if somewhat daunting..

I will take my guitar along to the shop when I collect the replacement amp - I am tempted to reject the amp if it has the same problem - but I do like the sound for the price...

ReplyQuote
(@jimscafe)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

As expected the same problem occurs with a different Peavey amplifier.

The shop are saying the guitar is not grounded!! How do I ground my guitar?

ReplyQuote
(@dayzd)
Estimable Member

I have a Peavey Rage And I don't get that problem...it just has no Reverb :?

Anything that is too stupid to be spoken is sung

-----------------------

<--=-.._DayZd_..-=-->

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Here's some information thats worth the read.

Shielding and grounding

Joe

ReplyQuote