Peavy Speakers and Mesa Boogies?

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
 Brak
(@brak)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok there is this video of a Nirvana concert in Montreal that has the most bizzare sound to it. I think Kurt is using a tube amp with some peavy speakers,but I am not sure. I also believe he is using a Mesa Boogie(preamp) Can you give me your best guess at what his equipment could be...as I am in love with that sound. Heres the link and thanks in advance

1. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LPpop6ftrYw

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I've asked my son, just one question at a time, but in the meantime, take a look here.

http://www.kurtsequipment.com/

And if you look at the road gear section: " Recording of 'Incesticide'

Almost all of this section is unknown and any info on it is pure speculation, simply taking into account what gear Kurt was using at the time. A few things to note. NIRVANA used Tad's equipment (while TAD was at dinner) to record the "Sliver" single. Also noteworthy is that you can hear the Small Clone chorus on the intro to "Aneurysm""

It could be 2 Vox Tone Bender fuzz pedals or could be one of the distortions in combination w/Sansamp, I just don't know.

It doesn't quite have the attack or full raspiness of distortion alone, but it is more than tube break up. I make mistakes and am not 100% on this stuff, and it's been 15 years since I really thought about it... then started using Multi FX, pre-fab things, like Boss GT6, ME-33 for my son, and later Digitechs and ZOOM after ZOOM.

I believe I could get this sound from an Ibanez SM-7 Smash Box too, or any number of distortion pedals, TS-5, TS-7, TS-9 in particular, Marshall Blues Breaker, Dallas Arbiter Fuzz Face with a little more dirt, or from a Big Muff Pi, which I don't own.

Mesa dual rectifiers will probably do that sound as well. So sorry I don't have one answer, let's all have a go and take a stab?

Of course you want an "answer" per se, and perhaps someone will have it - I hope you don't mind letting us chat or add pics?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I learned the song from chords/lyrics sites, and played it with various "distortion' and delay patches on my G-Dec 30 with the grunge backing track in the right key. It sounds right to me with any number of distortions, and a softer one was best.

Guitars used by me were a US Tele with a LACE Dually and Joe Barden and a stock 1981 Lead II which massacred the thing, nearly blew the speaker out of the poor amp, and could not go past 4 without wrecking it. Jeez, Kurt should have had one.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
 Brak
(@brak)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Haha...thanks for the answer or guestimation. Alot of those pedals sound very nice

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Welcome! If you hadn't mentioned the pedals, I wouldn't have found these pictures, honest? :?

I like to brighten things up with pics, when I'm here, which hasn't been much, or isn't much...

My son would clip any sound with his double distortion, dial in delay with Dot-On-Shaft or Roland Space/Tape Echo, crank it through a Traynor 120W powered mixer amp and cut off higher frequencies or unwanted resonance, soften or smoothing it out, while making it attack sensitive and playing the Low Pass Filter at the same time as the synth or guitar, based on how hard or soft the sound is created. He has the Ring Modulator from Moog also, as is mentioned in your other sound question.

I think you can do a lot with Multi FX or modelling amp, which is the way I went for simplicity, but with hard hitting guitars.

I really wish Kurt Cobain had found the Lead series especially the Lead III with a humbucker, but I think he liked thin necks.

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote