Notifications
Clear all

PEDALS...

18 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@checkered_shoes)
Topic starter  

everytime i make a post its always a question lol so yeah...i need a pedal that would switch from distortion to clean or vise versa from clean to distortion anybody know a good pedal...oh and also can you give me a little more details about pedals lol..thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

What kind(s) of distortion (e.g., fuzz, amp input overdrive, amp output overdrive ...)? Some types of distortion are easily done with a pedal while maintaining good or adjustable volume balance, others are not.

I get good results with a Voodoo Lab Sparkle Drive for going between clean and crunchy or clean to sorta nasty, both with good volume balance. Also, I can use this pedal for clean to louder clean or clean to amp input overdrive, but there is an unavoidable volume imbalance for these cases. Others in GN will probably recommend the Boss pedals, as well as the Ibanez Tube Screamers (and clones) and the ProCo Ratt line. Not only do they sound different in themselves, but interact differently with various guitars/amp combos.

Some players use two channel amplifiers to achieve the effects you describe, switching between each with a footswitch. Your amp may be a two channel, as many are. If so, explore this before buying a pedal.

Choosing a pedal advice: Get an idea of what sorts of distortion you like then head over to your local guitar shop to try out a bunch of pedals with your guitar(s) and amp(s). However, be warned that many of these pedals require significant settings experimentation to produce good sounds. I found this true of the Sparkle Drive.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@badlands53)
Trusted Member

A Boss DS-1 is a good choice, and it's very versitile and not too expensive (Got mine for $40). Take the suggestions here, and try to play through all of them and then some more, and find what you like best.

Well, if you can't make it, stay hard, stay hungry, stay alive, if you can, and meet me in a dream of this hard land.

ReplyQuote
(@musenfreund)
Illustrious Member

I just picked up a Zoom 505. Lots of effects built into it. Take a look at it. I like it so far.

Well we all shine on--like the moon and the stars and the sun.
-- John Lennon

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I like the look of the new Korg amp modeller. At £115 it's not hideously expensive, and it's got a nice little headphone socket to make you neighbour friendly.

Otherwise, you can't go wrong with Boss, and I have a Danelectro Black Licorice which is really dirty.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Some nice ones, in escalating price:

Boss SD-1 $50 classic overdrive.
MXR Doubleshot Overdrive $130 overdrive to distortion.
Fulltone Fulldrive 2 $180 nice warm overdrive.
Blackstone Appliances Mosphet Overdrive $230 famously transparent overdrive that brings out the individual sound of your amp and guitar.
Klon Centaur $290 boutique transparent overdrive pedal, some of the most interesting distortion I've heard have come from this pedal.

The last two I have heard used, but have never had the opportunity to play with.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Thats kind of the reason behind having two channels on an amplifier, channel 1 clean sound and Channel 2 for distortion/overdrive/lead. there's a large choice when it comes to single effects or multi-effects pedals. With single effects thats what you get 1 effect on or off and a few knobs to adjust it.

With a multi-effect pedals you'll also get chorus, reverb, delays, amp simulators, compressor/limiters, etc.. Multi-effects will give you more options to be creative with. It also comes down to how much your willing to send, there are some great pedals that have real tubes in them that will give your playing a real kick.

Is there a certain sound or tone your looking for?

joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Hey Slothrob, could you do a mini review of the pedals you listed? Guys like me know zero about individual pedals so some insight would definitely help!

Joe, are you still working on some massive article on effects and all?

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, I'm trying to squeeze in time for it here and there, this month turned out to be a lot more venues and rock fest starting tomorrow. I was happy just doing small ones couple times a month. I'll move it up high on my list here when things settle back down and I can focus my mind. Playing like I do really can wear you out both physically and mentally.

This is why lately I haven't even had much time to spend here like I want. Isn't that called the GN blues.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Joe, as much as I want your knowledge now, take your time. A good/complete article is better than a rushed one. I'd actually like to see a few of the members here chime in after your initial article on what they think about amps, setups, etcetera. Opinion is opinion but it's good to have many to read.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

I'm shopping for a overdrive/distortion pedal right now, so I've been trying them out, reading reviews, looking up what people use, and especially paying a lot of attention to what people are using on stage when I go to shows. I hope to become an expert as this is a very important sound to me, but that may prove expensive. The list is some that have impressed me so far, but it is so dependent on what sound you want and what amp you are using.
Just to use the Boss pedals as an example, the BD-2 is a bluesy warm overdrive, the SD-1 is a nice overdrive that can be pushed into some pretty nice distortion especially with some amps (a very versartile and popular pedal). The DS-1 is a distortion pedal that can be turned down to a pleasant drive or turned up to grind. The MT-2 gives heavy distortion, like for metal (some think it is the best, others the worst). So much subtle variation, it takes a lot of time to test all the possibilities. and fit your desires. and that's only some of the distortion pedals from ONE company. On top of that, there are a multitude of aftermarket mods of these same pedals.
One nice feature of the MXR pedal is that it has two channels, usually limited to boutique pedals, so you can set up an overdrive and distortion, put it thruogh a clean amp and you have 3 channels to switch between. Something you could do with the Boss OD-20, as well, I think.
The problem is there are just too many to compare. And my taste won't be yours.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes, buying every new toy that comes out can get expensive, I've collected a few..lol

Use to be overdriven tube amps then add a just a little bit of effects to make it different, now its modeling effects and solidstate amps. most of the newer modeling effects and things are trying to duplicate the the overdriven tube sound and tone. they produce the sound but I just don't feel the tone. I'm a tone monster. I need to feel the notes I'm playing. Sure at times I use tons of effects but their after the saturated tube output.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@snoogans775)
Reputable Member

it seems like everybody has mentioned the DS-1, which is my cheap alternative, but boss makes a few other quality distortion pedals, from BLues Distortion to the Heavy Metal, which is pretty close to TV static, but I'd look at their range, they all have level, gain and tone control

I don't follow my dreams, I just ask em' where they're going and catch up with them later.
-Mitch Hedburg
Did you see that!

ReplyQuote
(@hobsonator)
Trusted Member

A Euthymia Electronics Crucible Fuzz will put hair on your chest.

ReplyQuote
 Pup
(@pup)
Estimable Member

everytime i make a post its always a question lol so yeah...i need a pedal that would switch from distortion to clean or vise versa from clean to distortion anybody know a good pedal...oh and also can you give me a little more details about pedals lol..thanks

Only thing i'm gonna say is that i just picked up a Digitech x-series metal master, and it is the best distortion pedal i have ever had. I have the Boss DS-1, in my opinion, it's a piece of crap compared to this digitech i got.

But it all depends on the sound your going for, if your going for say just rock then the Boss Ds-1 or 2 will be fine. if you want metal or anything weird then get the digitech. it's worth the bucks for it.

ReplyQuote
Page 1 / 2