Notifications
Clear all

Personal Monitor Question

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@jarbar1026)
Topic starter  

I'm looking for a little monitor that I could use onstage just so I can hear myself.

What I'd like:

(1) No on-board effects needed. I use multi-fx pedals, so I really am just looking for something I can use as a personal "out" from my pedal system.
(2) Volume control on the monitor. I will sometimes use the "out" from the house system as the input to this monitor (from the DI box), so their volume to me can and will vary. I need to be able to dial this in myself.
(3) Nothing too loud is necessary. If it's a pretty tight "cone" of sound, that's fine. I will not use it as a practice amp or anything other than my own personal monitor.
(4) Lightweight / portable / small is great.

Of course, we all want the "highest quality" yet the "cheapest price", and I'm no different. "Best value", let's say.

Anyone have any ideas? Something you've used and loved?

Currently I use a little Crate practice amp in this role. It's gotten me by, but I'd just like something better. I'd love to have something that isn't silent at a volume level of 2 and running everyone else off the stage screaming at a volume level of 3

Thanks for any suggestions.

(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

We looked at some of these for church recently, but ended up with big floor wedges instead (a mistake, in my opinion.)

Take a look at the little TC Helicons; should be a big step up from your Crate:

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/TC-Helicon-VSM-300-XT-Voice-Solo-Active-Personal-Monitor?sku=601087

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

I've used HotSpots on many occasions - very useful.

http://www.zzounds.com/item--GXYPA5X140

ReplyQuote
(@jarbar1026)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info. I know you probably get what you pay for. I'm choking on the 300 bones, though. Cuts into my Boss GT-10 fund... :)

Can I bounce one off you that I found?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-PM100-Personal-Near-Field-Monitor?sku=609022

Now, I don't know anything about other than (1) the reviews are not bad, and (2) the price is right. Better than right.

Maybe one of you guys will have some heartburn about this one, though.

ReplyQuote
(@jarbar1026)
Topic starter  

One more post on this topic and I'll try to shut up.

Know what it seems like would be best? An in-ear monitor. I just don't understand why these things are $500.

I'd like to have a little device that plugs in to the 1/4" output from my Boss fx pedal, and broadcasts that signal all of 8-10 feet to a single earbud in my ear.

Don't need 'em for anyone else, and probably one earbud would do. Yet every time I find an "in-ear monitor", it's a "system", and it's $500 if it's a dime. And it's always a dime.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

An in-ear monitor. I just don't understand why these things are $500.

Quality, cost, supply & demand, the usual suspects. :) In-ear monitors are what I wanted. Wedges are what we got. Cost is the primary reason (with eight singers who rotate in and out ... )

Regarding the Nady monitor, it's probably fine. Behringer might make something that works too, at a similar price point. Just don't expect superior quality from either.

:ducks:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@danlasley)
Noble Member

Thanks for the info. I know you probably get what you pay for. I'm choking on the 300 bones, though. Cuts into my Boss GT-10 fund... :)

Can I bounce one off you that I found?

http://pro-audio.musiciansfriend.com/product/Nady-PM100-Personal-Near-Field-Monitor?sku=609022

Now, I don't know anything about other than (1) the reviews are not bad, and (2) the price is right. Better than right.

Maybe one of you guys will have some heartburn about this one, though.

Note that these are passive, and the HotSpots are active with multiple inputs and EQ, which is what you spec'd at the top.

ReplyQuote
(@jarbar1026)
Topic starter  

Well, the Nady does say it has a volume level knob, which is one of the things I really want to have. Now, maybe this will be less effective on a passive monitor, I don't know.

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

+1 on the Galaxy hotspots. Very versitile and pretty decent quality.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Yes, those Nady's are passive, but they have an impedence select switch, the ad says you can daisy chain as many as 15 together. I am still trying to figure out what impedence they would be set at to do that?? I think that would be 32 ohms running off an amp that operates down to 2 ohms.

So possibly these monitors operate at 32, 16, 8, and maybe even 4 ohms.

I wouldn't be afraid to try them, while Nady is not top-of-the-line, they actually make pretty good products. If handled with care they should last a long time. You must also consider that they only have a 5" speaker, so you are not gonna get a lot of bass out of them. They would probably be fine for vocals, and instruments with higher frequencies.

While it's generally true you get what you pay for, it is also true that you often pay far more than necessary for a name. Not saying anything bad about the products mentioned, just pointing out that high price does not guarantee quality.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@notes_norton)
Noble Member

I use RMS monitors. They are a little like a HotSpot but less powerful (15w) and under $100 if you do a google search.

&size=2&dhm=57340974&hl=en"> &size=2&dhm=57340974&hl=en">

The holder is extra and is a little lame, but we made due with it.

They have bass treble and volume controls, a low and high input and a separate aux input (with it's own volume control).

We've been using them for about 10 years now and they are serving us well.

Insights and incites by Notes

Bob "Notes" Norton

Owner, Norton Music http://www.nortonmusic.com Add-on Styles for Band-in-a-Box and Microsoft SongSmith

The Sophisticats http://www.s-cats.com >^. .^< >^. .^<

ReplyQuote