Playing guitars through bass amps

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

I bought a new bass amp some months ago, an EBS Combo 60, and it sounds great with my bass, it is absolutely clear and without noise in ("my") normal playing.

Now I am playing a lot of guitar and I am asking myself if I could play the guitars through the bass amp. I remember several questions about bass through guitar amps but not about guitars through bass amps.

Could I damage the amp?

It is not a real necessity because I already have a guitar amp, just a curiosity. Some guitar amps are very famous between the guitar players. And I also found some official EBS videos where guitar players use it even with distortion.

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

I don't think so.
Maybe if you were pushing the extreme limits, but even then it's unlikely.
It may not sound that great (boomy, weak high end, maybe not a great distorted sound), but on the other hand it might sound really cool

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

It's doubtful that you'll hurt the speakers as long as you stay within their power ratings. Plus it can sound really good with the right cab.

The lead guitar on his is a Tele run through a early model MXR Distortion +, a Vox VR15 amp, and a Fender bass cab.

http://soundclick.com/share.cfm?id=9113702

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Thank you guys! :D

Yeah, when I wrote about the bass amps used by guitar players I was thinking on the Fender Bassman.

By the way, Moonrider, that track sounds pretty good!

ReplyQuote