Clear all

PLEASE HELP!!! Problems with an AMPLIFIER

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@jackson_rr)
Topic starter  

Greetings.

On 30th december I bought a used peavey valveking 100 head. When I was with the seller, it runned OK, also when I bringed it to my home, and even the day later, everything was OK. But one day after I putted the plug on and pressed the button to ON, the led light was suddently on and instantly the light was off, all that in less time than a second. Now, the light doesn't come on when I press the button, it's completely OFF. I can just hear a little noise from the amp, some part of the amp is still working, I can't understand what has happened...

Could someone give me an opinion about what kind of problem could have happened? A friend told me that maybe is the fuse that has just blown up. But there is still some noise when the amp is ON, so I'm unsure that the problem is related with the fuse.

What do you think?

Thanks
Aleks from Spain. :(

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

¡Bienvenido al foro, Jackson! ¿Donde en españa estás?

It sounds to me very much like a fuse has burned out- should not be a hard fix. Is the voltage in your home the same as where you bought the amp?

I don't know the specific model of amp you have, so I can't tell you how to check the fuse- but it won't be too hard. Somebody with a valveking will be here soon, though, I'm sure. :-)

Tranquilo- no va a ser nada grave ni dificil...

Saludos,
Ande

ReplyQuote
(@dean8020)

Hi,
From the way you describe it, it certainly sounds like it is a fuse,
There are several fuses inside that head in the power section, for different areas,
So it may not be the fuse in the plug, or even the main power fuse inside the head.

F203 (Fuse identified as 203)
Is a 3A fast blow fuse in the same chain as the pilot light. Also provided after this fuse is the heater voltage for the power amp valves. With no heaters the valves will not perform, although you may get a slight noise out of the amp.

If you need help locating F203 to check it I can point you in the right direction,
But I would also say:
DO NOT OPEN any electronic equipment unless you are confident in your abilities, especially high power valve amps, as the voltages used for the valve plates often exceed 400V and the capacitors in the power supply can hold this charge even when the amp is unplugged.
If in doubt refer the repair to an electrician.

ReplyQuote