Clear all

Poison Amp

5 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@hoop71)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I think my Amp is poisoning my ears. When I bought my Marshall MG100FX 1/2 stack I thought the tone was brilliant, now I don't even want to turn it on. Has my ear matured or WTF? I play with the EQ and my EW pedal constantly and can't ever get it dialed in to sound "good" to me. The distortion sounds washed out and weak. The highs are metalic and almost can't be contained. Anyone else ever get this way?

"my choice is what i choose to do
and if i'm causing no harm
it shouldn't bother you
your choice is who you choose to be
and if your causin' no harm
then you're alright with me"
~Ben Harper

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Air pressure in your locale sometimes affects how your ear hears things.

Sometimes with external pedals the battery goes weak and you get a weak signal. Check the batteries.

Sometimes with a guitar with active electonics the battery goes weak and puts out a weak signal. Again, change batteries

Sometimes overtweaking the eq results in weak sounds that just seem to get worse. Put everything back to 'flat' response curve - the default factory setting, and start to adjust in small amounts.

And sometimes, like you said, your ear may just be getting better :)

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

Personally, I'd say your ear has matured and your amp isn't providing the tone that's in your head.

I had the same problem with my little MG15DFX. Initially thought it was awesome (it still is a nice amp for the money) but now I only use it clean and use pedals to get my desired tone. My big problem now is the little 8" speaker. :)

I think I know now why so many people tell you not to spend a fortune early on because more than likely you'll want something totally different a little down the road.

Jason

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Or maybe you're accumulating ear damage.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@scottish-nutter)
Trusted Member

i hate the tone of the mg series, im no expert but i had an mg30 and it was terrible, got myself a dsl401 and couldnt believe how much better it sounded, although the mg did sound pretty good for about 5 mins i herd it at the shop and for the first 20 mins after i got it home

ReplyQuote