Clear all

Practice Amps

10 Posts
10 Users
0 Likes
(@g3ordy)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Anyone have any experiences, opinions, or recommendations when it comes to a smaller practice amp. I have a Line6 PODxt Live, so I don't really need any effects, but I have been eyeing the Fender Frontman 15 and 25R. I have also looked at the Marshall MG15CD. Any input would be greatly appreciated. I'm mostly looking for something I can just jam at home with that has some decent tone.

(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

I would run that Line 6 through a nice little tube amp. You will be gettin' the tone!

Something like this.

Epiphone Galaxy 10

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@crank-n-jam)
Noble Member

I've got the Marshall MG15DFX (same as the MG15CD but with effects) and really like it. Very nice little amp. Also pretty loud for 15 SS watts. One of the biggest advantages has been the headphone jack. Use it a lot when the girlfriend is home.

HOWEVER, for just a few dollars more that little Epi tube amp Wes linked to has been getting really good reviews. Knowing what I know now, I'd have gone tube instead of SS, if I had it to do over again. 'Course I guess that also depends on what types of music you prefer to play. I like blues and classic rock, so the overdrive of the Marshall is a bit much for me.

"Rock And Roll Ain't Noise Pollution"

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

While I know taste differs I've been absolutely disgusted by running Line6 stuff into a Pro Junior and a small crate tube amp. It's not what those tube amps are made for. If you can find the sounds you need in your pod get yourself a transparant SS amp. If not, sell the Line6 and get whatever amp you like. Take a look at the Behrinegr GM series:

GM110: 10" speaker, 30W, FX-loop, $99
GM212: 2x12" speakers, 2x60W, $250

Perfect for amplifying PODs and the likes. Or get a HiFi poweramp (phonic en Behringer make some dirt-cheap ones which will do the trick perfectly) and a fullrange speakerset. In any case, do NOT add full-tube amps to your POD. Just my opinion...

ReplyQuote
(@blazedphool)
Trusted Member

Fender Frontman 15 is, for the buck not that bad actually IF a practice amp is ALL your looking for. The distortion however on it is horrible at all levels pass the 6 or 7.

" We are the music makers, and we are the dreamers of the dreams." - Willy Wonka

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

In my experience, the Marshall MG series amps (MG15, MG30) have some real build quality issues. I would avoid them, and I think there are plenty of other better amps on the market. The fender frontman amps are a bit sturdier, but I wasn't impressed with the sound.

Behringer gear is very good, I've found, check out the ones that Arjen suggested.

I would tend to agree about solid state amps and Pods etc, I think you're better plugging a modeller or whatever into a Solid State amp. However, you may tire of using modeling and effects, and then you're gonna wish you shelled out for a tube amp.

So, my advice is to get a solid state amp, thats not made by Marshall or Fender (As you pay over the odds for the badge).

Check out Behringer, Hartke, and maybe Laney.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@mitchell)
Eminent Member

I've got a frontman 15R, it's not a bad little amp. The only other amp I've got real experince with it a 150watt crate gx212 and it's got a MUCH MUCH cleaner sound then the crate. I actually bought the frontman with the idea of putting a POD infront of it. My guitar teacher and the techs at the guitar shop all recommened it for sitting infront of a pod.

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

The Fender will probably get better clean or blues sounds and classic rocksounds. A Marshall will probably get heavier classic rock sounds and metal type sounds. By your avatar, I'm thinking more blusier sound with classic rock overtones. Behringer does make good quality product for low prices. I have several Behringer products.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@taylorr)
Prominent Member

Ive got the PODxt. I love it. Anyways. I have the atomic amplifier. Its such a great device. Great for practicing and rehearsing. Small gigs if unmiked and any size gig if you mike it. Its a great thing. I love it.

Bit pricy though. I used to use it through a Behringer Vintager AC112. It got the job done but it wasnt pretty looking. It sounded ok with some tweaking.

aka Izabella

ReplyQuote
(@sun-ray)

I use the Marshall MG15CDR, it cost me about £80 if I remember rightly, and it has a nice sounding overdrive on it, which I love to use with my Morley Power Wah. There's also a reverb on it.

ReplyQuote