Clear all

Psst! Over here. Wanna HOT TIP, buddy?

14 Posts
9 Users
0 Likes
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Go check one a dese out. Vox VR15 & 30. Guitar Center's blowin' out da VR15's for $89 a pop.

Vox has done it again. They've made another one of those inexpensive "briefcase with a speaker" amps that delivers some jaw dropping tone.

This isn't a modeler amp. It uses the Valve Reactor preamp to drive a solid state power stage. The result is a sweet sounding little hybrid that has me looking at my Hot Rod Deluxe and my Peavey Classic saying, "Now wait just a cotton pickin' minute here!" :shock:

This amp doesn't have a lot of bells and whistles: Two channels: Normal (which overdrives just like a tube clean channel when ya crank it), and Overdrive ( with two selectable gain levels). No tremolo, no reverb.

What this amp does have is some serious cojones. Putting it through the paces with my G&L ASAT, I noticed the Normal channel started getting a nice touch sensitive crunch about halfway up, and once you hit full volume, the amp responded and sounded like a 15 watt class A tube amp with the volume dimed. In other words, sweet and loud. The overdrive channel has nice musical tones also. There's none of the harshness that you'll usually hear from a solid state amp, and once again, you get the touch sensitive response that's normally associated ONLY with tube amps.

It's enough to shake an old toob junkie like me. Who woulda thunk it. Go check one out.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

(@rocker)
Noble Member

i checked out the both amps, they are awsome, but i had to go with the hot rod deville, all
my money went with it to, but i would do it over a thousand times :P

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

I bought one a week ago. Sounds better then my Peavey Bandit.

BTW it's a SS pre and tube power. Either way impressive for a 15W amp.

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

i checked out the both amps, they are awsome, but i had to go with the hot rod deville, all
my money went with it to, but i would do it over a thousand times :P

This one was more for a "studio" amp for me. My current stable in order of purchase:

Peavey Classic Duel 212 (120 watts, all tube, now offically "vintage" age wise)
Vox Pathfinder 15
Fender Hot Rod Deluxe
Vox VR15

The main thing these amps all share is that no matter which I plug into 'em, they make me go "Man! That sounds good!"

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

ReplyQuote
(@rocker)
Noble Member

you got it moonrider, you got it 8)

even god loves rock-n-roll

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I bought one a week ago. Sounds better then my Peavey Bandit.

BTW it's a SS pre and tube power. Either way impressive for a 15W amp.

I think we're both right about the pre/power amp setup. Here's a quote from the manual:
WHAT IS VR?
The VR series are designed, as to what we believe are the next generation of “hybrid” guitar amplifiers. What does HYBRID mean, you may ask? Well, basically “hybrid” means that it utilizes a mixture of technologies — in this case those technologies are Tube and Solid State.

The Preamp stages consist of discrete transistors for sound generation, and integrated circuits (op-amps) to do signal management that would not be done effectively with transistors alone — i.e. channel switching, etc.

The Power amp stage uses a 12AX7 vacuum tube (or valve, depending where you live in the world) in a configuration that we at VOX call Valve Reactor.

The patented Valve Reactor power amp technology is used in all Valvetronix products. It was originally designed for the award winning VOX Valvetronix modelling guitar amplifier range, and now we have taken that same technology and further revised it into the format that is built into your VR15 amplifier.

HOW DOES IT WORK?
It basically works by having each half of the 12AX7 (the 12AX7 tube is actually two identical tubes in one glass tube a.k.a. dual triode) and configuring it to work as a small tube power amplifier. This circuit provides all the tonality and feel of an all-tube power amp. Obviously this “small” power amp would not be very loud if it was connected directly to a loudspeaker — therefore the tube circuit is connected to a larger, completely transparent solid-state power amplifier, that is run very cleanly so that it does not add its own colouration to the tube signal. This power output amplifier also has some special circuits that feed the loudspeaker impedance information back to the tube power amplifier in order to give it the loose sound & feel that an all-tube amp does.

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Your first post says the other way around...But it's still a nice amp for $90.00. Well worth the money.

BTW I posted this sale a week ago, nobody cared, even after I said it was a smokin deal.

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)

I played the 30 watt version at Media Play when they were having their sale and I honestly did not like the Vox sound at all. Maybe it was I couldn't find the right tone or the guitar was out of wack (it was off the shelf in a retail store!) but it just didn't have any personality to me. I know most of the people here swear by VOX amps but they're just not for me.

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

Sin City: The Valvetronix circuity is actually a pre-amp tube simulating a poweramp. The real poweramp is transistor. See it like this:

digital pre-amp -> valvetronix circuitry with pre-amp tube->transistor poweramp.

Anyway: would have gotten one if I didn't already had the AD30VT. ;)

ReplyQuote
 vink
(@vink)
Prominent Member

Anyway: would have gotten one if I didn't already had the AD30VT.

Me too ..

--vink
"Life is either an adventure or nothing" -- Helen Keller

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

BTW I posted this sale a week ago, nobody cared, even after I said it was a smokin deal.

I cared but I had just bought a new amp and I have to separate my purchases to once a month. This month I am buying picks :lol: next month strings since I am getting low. :lol: I am building up to a strat or a tele the following month.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@banre)
Reputable Member

Me too ..

Me three... :lol:

Unseen Evidence
UE Reverb Nation Page

ReplyQuote
(@nephidoc)
Eminent Member

Me too ..

Me three... :lol:

Me Four.... it's like a freaking virus

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Sin City: The Valvetronix circuity is actually a pre-amp tube simulating a poweramp. The real poweramp is transistor. See it like this:

digital pre-amp -> valvetronix circuitry with pre-amp tube->transistor poweramp.

Anyway: would have gotten one if I didn't already had the AD30VT. ;)

I just read the how it works part. I skipped it the first time. At first glance it looks the other way around. My apologies for being wrong. Still a nice apartment practice amp.

ReplyQuote