Skip to content
Question: 2 cabs to...

Notifications
Clear all

Question: 2 cabs together (ohms and stuff...)

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hi everyone. I haven't been around here lately, but I'm still tryin' to play guitar! Anyway, I've got a question re: connecting 2 cabs for 1 head. One cab in question is a favorite around here: the Epi Valve Jr. cab, rated at 16 ohms. The other should also be familiar by now; it's the Blackheart 112 Little Giant cab, also rated at 16 ohms. The Blackheart has 2x16 ohm parallel speaker jacks, while the Epi has only 1x16 ohm jack. I know that if I had a 2nd BH I could connect them, but can I do the same with the Epi? If so, would I start with the head---->BH cab----->Epi cab, and use the 8 ohm amp setting? As far as I can tell, the Epi was meant to stand alone, but is there a way to connect these 2 cabs without damaging anything? Any amp I would connect to these would be switchable (4, 8 or 16 ohm). I'm not one to experiment when there's any potential for damaged gear.

I'm sure this is a very simple question for most of you (hey, Ricochet!!! :oops: ). Anyway, thanks in advance for any info you can offer. I hope you're all doing well! :D

CC
:D :D :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the question (just issues on electricity and electronic circuits), I just want to say hello!

:D

(I wish all is Ok! Just you were busy playing your guitars!)

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Use a Y splitter, connect both cabs in parallel and use the 8 ohm output on the VJ head.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Nuno said:
I'm sorry, I don't know anything about the question (just issues on electricity and electronic circuits), I just want to say hello!
(I wish all is Ok! Just you were busy playing your guitars!)

Thanks, Nuno, for your greeting and well wishes! I'm doing alright. I took a short break from playing, but have been back at it for a couple of months now. Look out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Now I want more gear!!!!! :lol:

I hope everything is going very well for you, too. You're always such a nice guy and I know you deserve the best in life. I hope you have it! :D

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Well, Ric, I was gonna say "you're not gonna believe it..." but I think you will... :? I'm still not 100% clear on the Y cable thingy, so please explain further when you get a chance. In the meantime, is this an example of what I need:

Then one male would go into one cab, the other into the other cab...and then I'd use a speaker cable from the female to the head (set at 8 ohms)???

Please pardon my ignorance. And thanks for your help. I hope all's well with you!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Anyway, I've got a question re: connecting 2 cabs for 1 head. One cab in question is a favorite around here: the Epi Valve Jr. cab, rated at 16 ohms. The other should also be familiar by now; it's the Blackheart 112 Little Giant cab, also rated at 16 ohms. The Blackheart has 2x16 ohm parallel speaker jacks, while the Epi has only 1x16 ohm jack. I know that if I had a 2nd BH I could connect them, but can I do the same with the Epi? If so, would I start with the head---->BH cab----->Epi cab, and use the 8 ohm amp setting?

If you hook the cabs up as you've described here, you'll be fine. The parallel jacks on the BH112 cab will work to chain any two cabs with 16 ohms impedance and will give you an 8 ohm load when you do so. I think Ric missed the part about parallel jacks on the Blackheart cab.

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks Moonrider and Ric! I'll give it a try when I get the BH112...if I'm allowed to keep it. :?:

So nice to see you again, Nuno! Maybe I'll "see" you again soon. Take care in the meantime!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

So nice to see you again, Nuno! Maybe I'll "see" you again soon. Take care in the meantime!
Take care!

And don't forget to buy the new Jeff Beck's DVD!

ReplyQuote
(@musica23)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, Nuno...I've already got it pre-ordered from Amazon! :wink: Take care!

Love and Peace or Else,
CC

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Ah! Parallel jacks. Yep, that'll work.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@moonrider)
Noble Member

Ah! Parallel jacks. Yep, that'll work.
:D :wink:

Playing guitar and never playing for others is like studying medicine and never working in a clinic.

Moondawgs on Reverbnation

ReplyQuote