Clear all

Quick Q for Weber Attenuator Owners

11 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Does your volume control turn smoothly, or is it somewhat stiff? My new used Mini-Mass 50w arrived last night and seems to function just fine, but the pot does not turn smoothly - it almost feels like it's grinding. Can I spray it with some WD40, or is that a bad idea?

Tx,

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

(@cringe)
Estimable Member

I have a Weber Attenuator and the knob feels that way too. I bought it new and I'm pretty sure that it's supposed to be that way.

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Mine seems to wind smoothly.

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mine felt like that at first, but it has smoothed out over time.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Interesting. Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to worry about it as it doesn't seem to affect the attenuator's performance. Better a stiff pot than a scratchy one.

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Mitch

I remember when I got my Weber, I thought it seemed pretty cheap. But it works really well. The volume knob (actually attenuator knob) was very rough and scratchy feeling. But this is not the kind of device you turn a lot, and you really don't want that thing to turn while you are playing either. You could get really blasted.

By the way, if yours has the little bypass switch, make sure to turn your guitar down when you go to bypass. I forgot once. :shock: When you are standing right in front of your amp with it cranked up, boy can you get a real surprise.

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@dhutson)
Estimable Member

Slej,

Mine was gritty and had trouble going to zero volume (max attenuation). Unfortunately the pot broke within the first four weeks of use. However Ted has been EXTREMELY responsive. I shipped the unit back after speaking with him on the phone and he is repairing it now. I am very satisfied with the service I have received.

Dwayne

http://www.soundclick.com/wayneroberts

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I had that happen once. I was about few notes into a lead break and figured I would use the volume pedal connected to another amp to give me some more volume and power, it still wasn't enough, I leaned over to another guitarist and asked him to adjust attenuator up a couple db's, well.. he clicked the switch on the side which turned the attenuator off instead. It was instantaneous loud. That amp is a 100 watt set to around 8 1/2 to 9 running at its best saturation and the Eq boosting the mids and highs.

Oh... it sounded so good but was ear shattering loud.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey that reminds me - volume set to 10 still has some small amount of attenuation, correct? There's an audible difference between volume at 10 and bypass on mine.

Dwayne - interesting about the zero volume problem. I've got to check that ...

Thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

For getting the best tone is to experiment with different volume setting and attenuator setting. Turning the amp all the way up my not give you the best performance and tone. try listening to where the amp has the most dynamic's when your playing different styles of lead and rhythms. You'll know, you can feel it in your fingers and it will sound great. It will be as if your guitar plays itself. When the power supply starts to sage when the tubes start demanding more power from it.

For myself going past that certain spot seems to lose some of its luster. Sure it sounds good but it doesn't seem to respond to overtones as well. an example would one amp I have sound best at around 6 1/2 while another amp sound best at 8. it takes time and practice to find it.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member
Topic starter  

Hey Joe,

Thanks so much for that insight. I noticed in your previous post you mentioned having volume at 8-1/2 to 9 for a particular amp's "best saturation" and that made me think. I was going to comment before but the thought slipped past me. Anyway, after reading that I immediately turned the master down from 12 (yes, mine goes to 12! Whoo!) to 9 or 10 and there was a notable improvement - less compressed, more open sounding, yet still rich and full. As you said, it will take some experimentation before I find the sweet spot.

Cheers,

ReplyQuote