Clear all

Rack gear

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've seen references to rack setups and preamps; is this a whole other way of amping live versus the traditional halfstack or combo setup? What makes it different?

It seems as though the more I get into this stuff, the more there is to know.... ::)

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

I wouldn't know where to start. I use rack mounted equipment along side the stacks. I mostly use the stacks for clean power, the many sound and tone is created by the rack mounted tube pre-amp and EQ's, effects, and about everything else.

Depending the where and how large of a venue I'm playing dictates on how much equipment I take. Example: A few weeks ago I sat in with two bands on the venue, I used a rack mount pre-amp and and power amp into a 2x12 cabinet for monitoring myself and ran one sum out into a delay into a 12 watt all tube amp and miked it.

The boy's were funning me and wondered if that little 12 watt Gibson would have what it took...they aren't laughing any more, their wondering how I could get everything to sound like that.

Was there something in particular you wanted to know?

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@mattypretends116)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Not specifically, no. I have just seen many different setups onstange (everything running into the pa including guitar amps, only vocals over the pa in balance with the direct amp sound, and no stacks or combos in view, which lead to the rackmounted thing...) I just saw Fuel live in a fairly good sized club, but didn't see any amps onstage. They are a LOUD band, so I got to wondering after I saw a rack of stuff off to the side....

Generally, is there a limit in terms of venue size that determines whether some players use a rack or an amp through the PA? Is size even an issue? Are racks genearlly easier to deal with since everything is compact, etc? Essentially, I don't know anything about live setup or the differences taht different pieces of equipment or setups can make in terms of the sound you are going for. Is there a good places to learn, or is it just a matter of trial and error.

This should probably now be in the Live sound area, oh well :wink:

Thanks
Matt

"Contrary to popular belief, Clapton is NOT God. The prospect that he is God probably had a large hand in driving him to drugs and booze. Thanks everyone."

-Guitar World :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Yes and no on the amount of equipment used. I've been known to drag a stomp box and two little 15 watt amps to just a jam session. If I'm playing where there is going to be an audience then I always use the rack equipment. Most rack equipment has line level or direct outs which allow you to plug into a console / mixer.

Speaking for myself I would rather mike the back line which gives you delay from the time you hear what you've played and when it arrives out the sound system. this delay allows you to hear what your playing and make at least 1/100 of a second changes. Hope I explained it right.

Most of the sound and tone is created by the equipment in the racks. I use a couple different setups for equipment. depending on things. Use to be that everything was a separate unit, now most of the rack units are multi effects. I've learned that less is more on most occasions. Use to sport two 36 space anvil rack cases full of equipment and two full stacked guitar amps and cabinets, now its a four space rack case, a 2x12 cabinet and a small tube amp miked.

joe

ReplyQuote