Clear all

Re-appreciation of your gear

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I have just loaned my 10W practice Marshall amp and my Pacifica to a friend who is interested in playing the guitar (I think I've got him hooked already :mrgreen:). I obviously had to show him how to control everything, so I demonstrated different pickups, volumes, gains etc. I thought, not bad for a little 10W practice amp, although the distortion leaves a little to be desired.
When I got home I plugged my Les Paul into my Vox amp and just played an AC/DC riff and wow . . . the sound was amazing! The distortion had a lovely warm glow to it, beautiful tones . . just superb! I think sometimes, I at least, perhaps become a little "used" to what I usually play with. Going back to earlier kit, playing on it, then going back to my current amp really makes me appreciate it all the more! :)

I can only imagine what it must be like going from a 10W tranny amp to an all-valve head and 4x12 cab. 8)

Rob

If something's not worth doing it's worth forgetting about.
Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five
http://www.youtube.com/yashicamatonline

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It's nice to appreciate what you've got. :D

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Everything has it's pros and cons. Sure, a little 10w solid state amp is not going to sound like a Marshall stack, but if a buddy called up and asked you to come over and jam, which amp is best now?? :D

I love the sound of a big stack, but face it, it is a ton (almost literally) of work to haul these things around. I want guitar to be fun, not work! Over the years I have tried to find good sounding amps in a smaller package. They don't look as impressive, but that's pure ego anyway. Lots better to have a good sounding amp that is portable. You will have more fun, and be more apt to go jam with a friend or hit the Open Mic.

So don't throw that little Marshall away. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, well the little Marshall is with my friend for the next week or so. I'm am increasingly tempted by an Epiphone Valve Junior, but I cannot justify the outlay at the moment after spending £350 or so on guitars and amps in the last month or two. :lol:

Rob

Epiphone Les Paul Std - Yamaha Pacifica 112XJ - Takamine EG340SC - Taylor Baby - Grainger Hammerhead 50 - Grainger Valve Five

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

GAS keeps the fires of capitalism stoked, but hey, what you've got's working just fine now.

My boy, with a bunch of amps at his disposal, still often plays through the old Squier Champ 15 amp that came in his original Strat Pak. (When he's home.) Sounds just fine, and it suits him.

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah, I think we develop favourites. I invariably pick up my Les Paul over my Pacifica, simply because that guitar suits me. :)

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@kingpatzer)
Noble Member

One thing -- wattage isn't everything :)

I have a little 15w amp that I guarantee sounds far better at what it does than any marshal made. --It's a small boutique jazz amp tuned, and it's got such a great clean to it that I finally gave up my vintage fender twin in favor of it.

Yeah, it has to be mic'ed sometimes, but the tone is amazing.

Wattage != tone. Totally separate things!

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side." -- HST

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I agree. One of the reasons I bought the 50W Valvetronix rather than a smaller version, was for the size of speaker. Not on the grounds of it's ability to produce loud sound, but more on it's ability to produce a better sound, i.e., a better range of sound.
My friend has a 15W tranny Fender amp and that one sounds lovely on clean, although the distorted channel leaves a lot to be desired!

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I think the distortion from my boy's Squier is horrible, but he's used to it. :lol:

ReplyQuote
(@yashicamat)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I think that's the issue isn't it though. We get used to what we have, until we surpass it, it always seemed "ok" but once you've tried something better, going back to it will never be quite the same.

Rob

ReplyQuote
(@ignar-hillstrom)
Illustrious Member

I don't know. Take my Behringer GMX212 amp: I rarely play it (got the EVJ, AD30VT, amplitube, Boss GX700, GuitarRig and soon a Zoom G2) but every time I plug it back in it seems like someone sneaked in and upgraded it somehow. It's why I still have it: everytime I plan to dust it off to sell it I am surprised with how it sounds and I keep it. Dunno, kinda strange.

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

I love the sound of a big stack, but face it, it is a ton (almost literally) of work to haul these things around. I want guitar to be fun, not work! Over the years I have tried to find good sounding amps in a smaller package. They don't look as impressive, but that's pure ego anyway. Lots better to have a good sounding amp that is portable.

You know, I was just thinking how small the Peavey Classic 30 I just bought was for the sound and power it has. 12" speaker and 30 tube watts but very small. It does weight a little but not near what my 1/2 stack does. :D

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Nothing wrong with small and compact! I don't want to have to lug Marshall stacks around!

ReplyQuote
(@oldiron)
Estimable Member

A G-DEC and a home build 10w class a. More than enough for somebody who isn't a giging musican. Now I need to figure out how to buid a MIDI interface for the class a.

I may be going to hell in a bucket but at least I'm enjoying the ride. (Jerry Garcea)

ReplyQuote